FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrades to Mac Pro for 4K?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren Morningstar
Upgrades to Mac Pro for 4K?
on Feb 26, 2019 at 5:18:08 pm

Hi everyone,
Is there anything I can do to my 2013 Mac Pro (3.5 GHz 6-Core Xenon E5 32GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6144MB) to better handle 4K natively? Sometimes I don't have time to render proxies, and I can't get a new computer at the moment, but I do have budget to do upgrades. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Warren

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Upgrades to Mac Pro for 4K?
on Feb 26, 2019 at 6:55:00 pm

That machine should be fine. I run the 8-core/64GB RAM/D500. What storage system are you using and how is it connected? What camera/codecs? Which version of Premiere? Odds are it's Premiere, which tends not handle 4K as well FCPX.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Warren Morningstar
on Feb 26, 2019 at 7:09:32 pm

Premiere Pro 13.0. 4K footage from a Canon C200 (Cinema Raw Light .CRM) and H.264 from an Osmo Pocket. Main storage is on a ProMax network system (10GB ethernet), cache on a local RAID drive. Files from the Canon not so much of an issue, since I can record proxies in the camera, but other 4K sources lag significantly on playback or scrubbing.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 26, 2019 at 7:27:51 pm

My gut feeling is that the 10Gig RAID is not what you want to do, to start with. I would really think you'd have better luck with a Thunderbolt RAID, like a Promise Pegasus. Secondly, those codecs are very poor with Premiere, especially the H264 from the Osmo. It's unbelievably awful.

Your best bet is proxy/full-res - or better yet, transcode the footage to ProRes first before ever editing. If you transcode ahead of time, either use Adobe Media Encoder or Resolve. The latter is probably your fastest. The one downside is that the GPU design on the trash can Macs is a huge Apple misstep. I have the D500s and constantly get glitches with heavy-duty rendering in all, except Apple apps. That's because none of the other manufacturers balance the load correctly between the two GPUs and therefore one overheats. I've added a utility app to run the fan speed at max all the time. It mitigates the issue, but doesn't solve it.

Premiere also does worse when you have a mixed set of codecs. If it were all 4K ProRes, for example, instead of mixed, then your performance would be better. Also 4K in a 4K timeline might have better performance than 4K in a 1080 timeline, since no extra scaling is required.

You might also want to play around with OpenCL versus Metal GPU acceleration. Good luck. HTH.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Warren Morningstar
on Feb 26, 2019 at 7:29:56 pm

Thanks, Oliver. I'll do some more playing.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Feb 28, 2019 at 5:47:52 pm

The H.264 would be much better handled by almost any current Mac other than the Mac Pro. The laptops, iMacs, and new Mini all have built in acceleration for H.264 decoding that works very well. There is nothing you can do to the trashcan Mac Pro other than replace it with a better machine (i.e., find a 12 core rather than the 6 core). But even if you do that, you still won't have either the H.264 acceleration or Thunderbolt 3 that you get with every other model they currently make.

Return to posts index

Warren Morningstar
on Feb 28, 2019 at 6:10:42 pm

Thanks, Mike. I was afraid of that. Looks like I'll have to budget for an iMac Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]