FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting video for iDVD in 1280x720

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittney Millaway
Exporting video for iDVD in 1280x720
on Feb 20, 2019 at 3:03:01 am

Okay, I'm going to provide as much information as possible, as I don't know what could be relevant and what not. Thank you in advance for any help provided.

I have taken over a promotional video editing project for a client. This client no longer has contact with the previous editor. She had produced videos in a 1280x720 quicktime format (.mov) set for NTSC DV Widescreen (all client requested for iDVD purposes).

PS- I am aware that iDVD is extremely outdated... this is the program that my client has and is comfortable with using. Also, I am not having issues with the files created under the previous editor.

Back to the story... I have used the same master sequence, just re-importing new material from Adobe After Effects (also a pre-made sequence by the previous editor, so shouldn't be issues here). I have been instructed to create a version for the web (Format: H.264, Preset: Match Source-High Bitrate), those export as .mp4, perfect, I'm also instructed to create a version compatible with iDVD for their DVD promotions (Format: QuickTime, Preset: NTSC DV Widescreen, and Video Codec: DV25 NTSC... [by default]).

Looking at her finished .mov files in QuickTime, I can tell from the inspector this information... Format: H.264, 1280 x 720, AAC, 48000Hz, Stereo (L R); FPS: 29.97; Data Size: 111.6; Data Rate: 24.81 Mbit/s; Current Size: 1280 x 720 (Actual). I have figured out how to export from QuickTime to create the H.264 format.

My overall issue is... With my default setting (previously listed, underlined) for export from Premiere using Media Encoder, I am unable to change the aspect ratio to 1280 x 720 from 720 x 480. It doesn't matter if I have the Match Source boxes checked or not, or if I have the height and width linked or not, I am unable to change this setting.

I have not been able to find another export format that iDVD will accept, but it must be 1280 x 720 to match the previous promotional videos their editor created. I am just unaware of the correct Video Codec that iDVD will use. (It seems that depending on the codec, I am able to play with the aspect ratio).

PPS- I have done tons of research on this matter, not finding anything that solves my problem. In this research, I saw that Premiere used to have an H.264 codec until recently... Could this be what she used since hers shows as H.264 in QuickTime?

PPPS- I need an H.264 format within the .mov file for iDVD. If I export from Premiere as H.264, I automatically get an .mp4. I tried to convert this to an .mov in QuickTime (since I was able to manipulate the aspect ratio to the desired 1280 x 720 under the H.264 format in Media Encoder), but I was left with something iDVD would not play in the preview. It wasn't even clickable. The only difference between my file and her file at this point in the QuickTime inspector was that my Data Rate and Data Size were considerably smaller than hers. Other than that... mine matched the exact Format, FPS, and Current Size as hers displayed in the QuickTime file that worked in iDVD.

I am at a loss. Is there a new H.264 codec? Is there a way I can manipulate aspect ratio with my default export settings? Is there a tiny setting box that I've forgotten to check or uncheck? It HAS to be 1280 x 720, it HAS to be QuickTime .mov.

PLEASE HELP THIS DISTRESSED GIRL!!!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Exporting video for iDVD in 1280x720
on Feb 20, 2019 at 8:34:44 am

If your source is 1280x720 and you want to make a DVD you will need to make it according to DVD specifications. So if you're using a format that is specced to NTSC DV then it will be 720x480. There is no DVD format that is 1280x720.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 20, 2019 at 2:31:32 pm

What Tero said. You can write 1280x720 files to a DVD as a DATA DVD, but not as a video standard DVD that will play in a DVD player.

This presumes you are in fact speaking specifically about DVD's and not speaking generically, but actually meaning to reference Blu-Ray discs.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 20, 2019 at 3:57:51 pm
Last Edited By Todd Perchert on Feb 20, 2019 at 4:00:43 pm

Yes. What Tero and Jon said. Now, I'm not sure why iDVD won't take an h264 mp4, but you can make a couple other options. The image size will be changed as Tero suggested to 720x480. In the QuickTime presets you should have a ProRes NTSC SD preset that should work. If not, try a MPEG2-DVD NTSC DV Wide preset. They will crunch it down to the correct size. And iDVD SHOULD be able to use either of them. Unfortunately, my Mac, with Mojave, no longer has iDVD so I can't say for sure.
Let us know what happens!
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Brittney Millaway
on Feb 21, 2019 at 6:54:19 am

Thank you all for your replies. I had read about the issue with 1280x720 for DVD’s. This leads me to another question then. My file played just like hers in QuickTime when mine was 720x480, set as widescreen, however hers displayed fine in iDVD and mine squished to 4:3 instead of 16:9 that it was set at. That’s why my original thought was to inspect the file to see the differences. How is it that hers show as 1280x720 in QuickTime and in my Mac finder but hers still worked in iDVD and still burned to DVD’s? Any ideas there?

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 21, 2019 at 12:07:13 pm

Not a Mac user here. I can only guess the file types were not the same. iDVD recognizes her file type, but not your file type. Not all apps are universal regarding what they will accept.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]