FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline playback slow and jumpy.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Connor
Timeline playback slow and jumpy.
on Feb 14, 2019 at 5:08:14 am

My editing career started way back in 2000 when I started with Avid. All started out well, I had an old Panasonic SVHS Camcorder that I had purchased on eBay which took really good pictures and I would edit with Avid. Then the problems started in. I hung in there with Avid for 10 years and in 2010, I literally threw thousands of dollars worth of Avid stuff in the trash.

A year or so later I moved into Adobe and I've been with Adobe ever since, but it too is riddled with problems.

A few months ago, I purchased a Hewlett Packard Z820 Computer with 8 GB of Ram and an E5 12 core processor and an NVIDIA Quadro 2000 video card to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine along with a Digital Audio Labs Card Deluxe Audio Card. I have been able to turn out product for Dr. Sky and other small projects.

Knock on wood it's been running pretty good up to this point, but now I'm having playback problems with the timeline. Sometimes it works fine and other times it plays back slow... the audio is at a lower pitch and the video is jumpy... periodically jumping back a couple of frames and playing forward .

Content is P2 from a Panasonic AJ-SPX800P Camcorder.

This all seemed to start when I brought a clip audio into Audition to bump the volume. The Effects Panel only takes it to +6 and that wasn't quite enough.

Now that Adobe has dropped support for Premiere Pro CS6, I'm lost.

What if I took on a BIG job... got an advance... and I'm one day away from finishing and Premiere Pro craps out and I can't fix it? And I cannot give the client their money back or a finished product? That's Litigation with a capital L.

Just finished a project with Dr. Sky and the Lowell Observatory Discovery Channel Telescope. If Discovery Channel calls and says that they like what they see and want more, I would love to oblige them, but confidence is too low at this point.

Any private vendors supporting Premiere Pro CS6?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mike

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
Re: Timeline playback slow and jumpy.
on Feb 14, 2019 at 5:00:49 pm

Two things. Why not upgrade to a later version beyond CS6??

Other thing Right click on the audio clip on the timeline and choose audio gain. Boom. Bump it up as many db as you want.

You can also select sequence/Render Audio and get better audio playback. Timeline does not show you if your audio needs rendering.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:35:55 pm

Also, get at least 8GB more RAM. Yes, it'll run on 8GB, as you know. Some bottlenecks will be relieved with 16GB.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Feb 14, 2019 at 8:51:39 pm

Let your work dictate your technology. If you get a big project use the extra money to upgrade.

16 gigs ram is a start. 32 or 64 gigs is better.

If you’re a professional, you owe it to your clients to be up to date with software. The savings you’re enjoying by having CS6 and not CC is offset by the fact that you’re simply not prepared to take on a variety of projects with all different types of media.

Tallmanproductions.net
Main Edit: Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2019 13.0.2 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio
Portable: Dell XPS15 9570

Return to posts index

Michael O'Connor
on Feb 15, 2019 at 1:32:57 am

Thanks all for writing.

The object of staying with CS6 instead of CC is the MRC Monthly Recurring Charge. I'm retired. My career in the Motion Picture Industry lasted almost 2 decades before I was Blackballed out of it by Gabe Videla of Special Effects Unlimited. Now I've got Medicare and the IRS in my back pocket, so I get less than $700 a month.

I don't really have a big budget for software and equipment. My last computer (purchased in 2004) was an Intel Server 4 core, 3.2 Ghz 8 GB Ram with an NVIDIA Quadro 2000 and a CardDeluxe Audio Card. I purchased the Z820 recently, because it had a legacy PCI slot that my CardDeluxe would fit into. It had the E5 12 core CPU and I hope to add the additional CPU for a total of 24 cores; and yes I will bump the ram to 16 GB.

There are other factors besides a super computer. I own 3 Panasonic AJ-SPX800p Camcorders, Sennheiser Short Shotgun Mic, a Boom Pole, Shure SM-57, Azden Wireless Mic setup, Sound Devices Digital Audio Recorder and a few Gels leftover from a shoot 10 years ago, cables adapters and oh yes my beloved Slate..

If I run to the store every time there is an upgrade, I wouldn't have any time for clients; it would be a weekly excursion. I'd have to research what would work with what. That in itself would be a full time job and, in the end, I wouldn't have any money left for me. There'd be major purchases, major shipping costs, major learning curves.

There's big guys and little guys... I'm a little guy. I'm not Andrew Kramer.

I do straight forward editing, maybe a "Jumpback" here and there as a lead in, but I try and keep it simple. Too much fancy stuff and the attention is drawn away from the story.

Anyway enough rambling.

I started a whole new project, Imported the video into the source monitor and it plays slow. Didn't even make a sequence.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 15, 2019 at 2:19:37 am

If you aren't into subscription software, give DaVinci Resolve a try. Won't cost a cent to see if it fits your needs.

Return to posts index

Michael O'Connor
on Feb 15, 2019 at 5:48:18 am

Don't want to jump ship. Just need to figure out why it's doing what it's doing and solve the puzzle. It was a simple fix when Adobe remoted-in and fixed it last October.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Feb 15, 2019 at 5:35:15 pm

Your first step should be to transcode the P2 media into an edit friendly codec - pro res, dnxhd or cineform.

If your problem remains with the transcoded footage then most likely you have compatibility issues- i.e., drivers not being updated, etc.

Tallmanproductions.net
Main Edit: Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2019 13.0.2 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio
Portable: Dell XPS15 9570

Return to posts index

Michael O'Connor
on Feb 16, 2019 at 3:09:42 am

Dear Greg,

The P2 media (mxf files) are computer friendly. Up to a few months ago I was editing with a 15 year old computer and Adobe Premiere Pro worked just fine. Then I purchased a HP Z820 and that worked even better, until about a week ago and this timing thing cropped up. Adobe fixed it last October, but now it has cropped up again.

I'll start a whole new project and bring in a movie as a test and it still plays slow.

Just looking for a solution so I can get back to work.

Thanks!

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]