COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter brelan
Sshd ?
on Feb 1, 2019 at 10:41:48 pm

Hello,

i wanted to build a RAiD working station. 4x4to
But i cant' find SSHD 4To 7200rpm.
I read somewhere that SSHD for video post production doesn't change big things as video uses more than the 8Go cache of these SSHD. Is it true?

What is a normal working station according to you?

Thank you
Pierre

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Sshd ?
on Feb 2, 2019 at 12:32:25 am

Good luck finding SSDs with any rpms at all, let alone 7200rpm!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2019 at 2:35:07 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 2, 2019 at 2:50:06 am

Stick with hard drives for your array.

Considering you're talking video, and editing takes shot from every place, trims 'em up and places them in a sequence you determine, you lose the advantage of a hybrid drive -- the ability to retrieve frequently-used stuff as fast as an SSD.

Besides, an array is meant to do what you want to do -- get fast throughput. And when you build a RAID 5, if one of the drives can go south, you replace the bad drive, and the RAID software re-builds the bad drive's data on the new drive. If I had the dough, I'd get a RAID 5 and I wouldn't waste it on some array of hybrids.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

peter brelan
on Feb 2, 2019 at 8:28:01 am

thank you,

but how to work with SSDs when just the footage of my film is 1To 500Go ? SSDs don't easily above 1To. And this is just a short film, i plan to make a longer film so i guess I will get 10 times the amount of footage.

What would be a working station for feature for instance?

Thank you
Pierre

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2019 at 6:00:18 pm

Well, at work they gave me a 4-terrabyte RAID 5. It consists of Five 1-TB drives. Four drives for storage, 1 for checksums & such. If ANY one of the drives fails, you can re-build the data from the remaining 4. I haven't had a single, solitary problem.

Since hard drives come in capacities greater than 1 TB, you can have a RAID in 8, 12 and 16 TB capacities if you wish. You just get bigger drives. RAID 5 -- it's the secure way to go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

peter brelan
on Feb 3, 2019 at 7:56:43 pm

Thank you again for all these good advice.

Have a nice evening

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]