FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Tall Videos

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Nicholson
Exporting Tall Videos
on Feb 1, 2019 at 12:17:15 pm

In Premiere Pro CS6, I am attempting to export a series of 2048x1536 pixel videos to suit my iPad in portrait mode. The videos are backing tracks I have made minus guitar and vocals with lyrics+chords on the screen sized perfectly for my iPad 4.

In File>Export>Media under the header 'Export Settings', the check box called 'Match Sequence Settings' forces the Output to 720x480 even though the sequence is clearly 1536x2048 (1.0), so I know checking that box won't export the correct resolution or even correct aspect ratio. I even started a new Sequence and created a new preset with the resolution at 2048x1536 and called it 'iPad Vertical' to make this work. It didn't. The video project window displayed the correct aspect ratio throughout the project inside a vertical rectangle to my specifications without black bars so I dont know why exporting needs to be this painful.

All my videos are a single photoshop image of 2048x1536 pixels and an MP3 file. Thats it. The photoshop file for each video is around 2 megabytes and the mp3 is around 10 megabytes. All are extremely small 3-4 minute videos - just a lyrics image and backing instruments. Thats it. Will make live performances fantastic and simple with my voice, guitar and organised backing system from an iPad media player.

When attempting to select my own custom EXPORT SETTINGS, I like to choose
Format: H.264
Preset: Custom

But when I go to change Height from default 1080 to 2048, I get the error message 'Invalid framesize/framerate for this level.' Is 2048 pixels really too high for this H.264 format? I experimented by exporting a video at 1920x1080 with H.264 and the videos were nice and small - around 20 megabytes. But on the iPad, I have to double tap the video to stretch out to the size I need between each song (otherwise the lyrics are obviously too tiny to read), and songs need to start without delay on queue with my hand strumming the first chord on my guitar - there is no time for screen pressing at any time during a set of 12 songs (12 videos), which I intend to make into varying lists depending on my audiences.

To change the resolution to 1536x2048, I changed the format to AVI, and the exported file was 69 gigabytes!! My expensive iPad only holds 64 Gig including the operating system.

Clearly, the obvious solution is to halve the resolution to 768x1024 so I can use H.264 format. But must I?

What do you recommend I do? Why doesn't the output match the source? Why are there radio buttons for 'TV Standard' and how are PAL or NTSC relevant in the year 2019? I don't think I've seen a dedicated Television for about ten years. Do PAL and NTSC even exist anymore in production?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
Re: Exporting Tall Videos
on Feb 1, 2019 at 1:06:50 pm

If the file you want to export is 2048 pixels tall, then you need to set the H.264 Level to at least 5.1. Levels lower than that cannot support vertical resolutions at 2048. See this table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

I don't have CS6 handy, and I don't remember what kind of control you have on H.264 exports, but in CC2019's Media Encoder, the Levels setting is right below the Profile setting under the Basic Video Settings in the Video tab.

I am able to export a H.264 file that is 1536 wide by 2048 tall with Profile set to Main and Level set to 5.1, but again, this is not CS6, and I can't remember what settings CS6 exposed.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 1, 2019 at 2:51:31 pm

Is your sequence the same dimensions as the video you want to export? If not you are asking media encoder to change the aspect ratio of your video and it might look funny.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 1, 2019 at 4:11:01 pm

This thread interests me because I would like to do almost the exact same thing he's trying to, on a chromebook-based tablet,

...but also, I'm interested in formatting files for use on a giant consumer LED TV screen that's been rotated into portrait orientation, but has no specialized playback hardware or software attached to properly orient a vertical video.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2019 at 4:22:46 pm

For the monitor, you just have to know if it will be rotated clockwise or counterclockwise.

You work in a normal 16x9 timeline, rotating the images to match the monitor rotation.

It's disorienting, but it works like a charm.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 1, 2019 at 4:39:28 pm

Interesting.

My application is, playing with a ukulele club in a bar, and we want to re-mount the giant-scren LED TV to portrait mode and throw up single-page sheets of lyrics and chords from our "fake book" with high magnification and visibility. All the songs are formatted as single- page docs in MS Word and exported as doc, JPEG and PDF. It would be cool to dd a drum track associated with each page, but that's a frill at this point.

Playout would be from either a tablet with HDMI or laptop or DVD player in slide show stills mode. can't really afford the more "pro" video server type solutions, and I'd like to avoid pre-formatting in AE if possible.

Return to posts index

Paul Nicholson
on Feb 1, 2019 at 8:23:30 pm

Dave LaRonde's idea above will work for you instantly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2019 at 2:12:11 am

Glad you haven't implemented the drum track. I think it would cramp your style -- always limited to a fixed tempo, no rubato... alway the same.

It doesn't sound like anything moves in your scenario... unless you're talking the magnification. Would a powerpoint suffice for you? Am I missing something?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Nicholson
on Feb 1, 2019 at 8:22:19 pm

Yes of course, but thats a bit of fix one problem - create a thousand more kind of solution. I want the videos to be user friendly on multiple devices without having to rotate my head or monitor every time I switch between programs...

Return to posts index

Paul Nicholson
on Feb 1, 2019 at 8:18:54 pm

I tried the higher 'Level' settings, but the iPad rejected them - iTunes wouldn't let me drag and drop them without an error message each time. So I kept the level at 4.0, reduced the bitrate to 1 Mbps, and tried to change the height and width. By default it was set to 1920x1080, and given that I wanted the height to be 2048 pixels, I deleted the 1080 and typed 2048. Then I pressed Enter. Immediately Premiere gave me the framesize too high error. But if I changed the 1920 to 22 pixels wide first, I was then able to type 2048 in the height box. After that Premiere let me type 1536 into the width box. Bad programing. Unfortunately, this was when the level was set to 5.0 to allow those dimensions. So in the end I had to set it at 4.0 so the iPad would understand the file, and reduce the resolution to 768x1024 with a bitrate of 1 or 2 Mbps. The lyrics are a bit blurry, but I couldn't see a nice way to do it without making a bunch of sideways videos that would not be universally compatible with other computer screens without changing the rotation of every screen these videos would ever be used on and having to turn my head sideways every time I switched between programs on my iPad while on stage. Pity. H.264 seems to have some kind of budget.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Feb 1, 2019 at 9:12:36 pm

Yeah, I'm seeing the iPad 4 not capable of H.264 above level 4.1. So it looks like that approach is a non-starter with that device:

"H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1."

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 1, 2019 at 10:30:17 pm

I'm wondering if you can instead make PowerPoint type slides with an attached sound file, in the screen proportions you want, to get around the h264 coding issues.

Return to posts index

Paul Nicholson
on Feb 2, 2019 at 6:24:29 pm

Good suggestion. Ideally I would have my songs showing at the same time as a set list. Luckily iPad does have media player apps that dont cut the music when I switch between non audio apps. Also the benefit of video files is that I can store them on youtube and they are with me when i forget my ipad or it runs out of batteries or I am asked to play a song at someone's house when theres a guitar lying around. Also, Im not sure at this stage if having the lyrics on one page is better than scrolling lyrics. I havent tested it yet. I can certainly play more songs if the words and chords are written down. I can triple my repertoire without learning it all off by heart.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 2, 2019 at 6:43:18 pm

[Paul Nicholson] "I tried the higher 'Level' settings, but the iPad rejected them - iTunes wouldn't let me drag and drop them without an error message each time. "

You might want to try VLC player instead of the built in video player on the iPad. Haven't tried this specific type file, but VLC will play nearly anything on iOS and its free.

Return to posts index

Paul Nicholson
on Feb 2, 2019 at 10:29:38 pm

I have to use iTunes to import movies into the iPad, though, and iTunes won't allow any incompatible videos to be dropped into the iPad movies folder.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 3, 2019 at 3:53:27 am

Thats true, but you can use iTunes to move your videos (of any type, including many not supported by the built in Apple video player.) into VLC. I do this all the time. In iTunes, just go into File Sharing, then select VLC in the sidebar...then load up any video you want. It's really extremely easy. Again, I haven't tried this with the exact specs you want to upload, but VLC handles a great many things the Apple video player can't. It won't cost you a cent to try.

Return to posts index

Paul Nicholson
on Feb 3, 2019 at 9:08:55 am

Cool, thanks :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]