FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tired of slow Premiere Pro. Kindly assist.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Preet Malhotra
Tired of slow Premiere Pro. Kindly assist.
on Jan 30, 2019 at 7:44:10 am

I have various issues and have gone through many forums/posts. Still couldn't find a proper solution. I request you to kindly read till the end.

I have an Asus FX553VE laptop (GL553 cousin) with following specs-
CPU- 7700HQ
RAM- 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
GPU- 1050TI 4GB
Storage- 1TB HGST SSHD
"No SSD"

Camera's-
FHD from - Galaxy A9 Pro, MI Redmi Note 6, Canon 77D
4K from - Galaxy A9 Pro, GoPro Hero 7
Audio from - Galaxy Note 3, Nokia 808 Pureview (audio doesn't matter I guess)

Premiere Pro used- CS 6, CC 15.3, CC 17, CC 18. CC 19
Doing everything on constant power. Nothing on battery. No powersaver. High performance power mode. Extra fans for cooling (7-9 fps increase in games like Witcher 3). Running Premiere Pro on nVidia Card. Using CUDA renderer.

Issues-
1. FHD timeline-playback lags at 1/8. Forget editing 4K.
2. FHD render time is same as project length if no effects/layers used. 4K takes 4x the length.
3. Even the timeline scroll is choppy.
4. Import/confront times are long. Not huge, but considerably long.
and
5. Sometimes I have seen rendering with minimal CPU Usage, 2-3GB available RAM, No HDD usage. And still slow. Why it doesn't work when it has everything. I know the RAM is less, but atleast PP should use it.

I used to do all this on same system HDD. So I came to a conclusion that lags are obvious.

I have multiple external USB 3.0 HDDs.
Used Software on system, Source on second external drive, Output on third external drive.
Exactly same results.

Recently bought an NVMe. Getting write speeds upto 1100 MBps when copying from and to in same NVMe. Made a 64GB pagefile there.
Same results for playback. Choppy FHD at 1/4 Still no smooth playback of 4K. Rendering times slightly decreased. 30 minute videos gets rendered in 24-25 minutes. Thats a decrease of nearly 20%.

120 MBps HDD to1100 MBps NVMe - 20%?

I am planning to upgrade RAM to 32 GB. But before that, I want to know what the hell is wrong with this thing?

Also, people are doing all this on much slower MacBooks. How? 1050TI is as fast as Radeon Pro 560, that powers some serious MBPs.
I was thinking to switch to DaVinci Resolve. Anybody here made a complete switch? Any feedback?

Sorry for long post. It is affecting my profession a lot. Tried so many things. Cannot sort this thing out
F1!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Tired of slow Premiere Pro. Kindly assist.
on Jan 30, 2019 at 5:41:56 pm

The media formats you're using are compressed and seem a bit complex so that could be an issue. But then you have a good enough CPU and your media isn't that large that it will challenge a USB3 drive. I'm sure you've checked your nVidia drivers so that can't be it.

I would recommend getting the free version of Resolve and checking if that can playback the same media properly. That will help you rule out your system. 8 GB RAM is a bit less, but not so less that 1/8 res media cannot play smoothly. Your GPU 1050Ti w 4 GB RAM seems fine too.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Preet Malhotra
on Feb 5, 2019 at 3:16:21 pm

Thank you for your time, Sir.
Tried resolve. It works fine, but I am worried about my workflow.
Do you personally use it/know anyone who uses it?
How is your/their experience?

Regards,
Preet Malhotra

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jan 30, 2019 at 5:44:59 pm

Only 8GB of RAM is a contributor for certain. We think, "It shouldn't make THAT much difference." It does.

If your original footage is highly compressed codecs such as h.264, mts, etc. - these put a lot of additional load "on the fly" to compress and play back. Transcoding to a less-compressed codec can help with this for editing.

USB 3 is better than nothing, but SATA (or eSATA) or Thunderbolt will generally perform better. The real question is - is your USB controller *and* your external drives USB 3.0 or 3.1? There is quite a difference between the two in terms of maximum theoretical throughput.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Preet Malhotra
on Feb 5, 2019 at 3:21:23 pm

Thanks for your time, Sir.
I guess it is the codec. GoPro records 4K in HEVC (H.265) and thats a poor codec for editing due to high compression. Thanks for the insights though. I believe all my external drives are USB 3.0 compliant atleast, because they support SATA 5 GBps speeds and give me aroung 130 MBps while transferring data. Though editing in an NVMe these days. Considering to upgrade RAM soon.

Regards,
Preet Malhotra

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jan 31, 2019 at 10:54:05 pm

Use proxies.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Preet Malhotra
on Feb 5, 2019 at 3:23:17 pm

Thanks for your time, Sir.
Thanks for suggestion. Learning proxies. Can you tell me basic difference between ingest and proxies? This doubt arose due to 2 different types of presets in Media Encoder. Why do we need ingest presets that are based on proxy presets?

Regards,
Preet Malhotra

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]