FORUMS: list search recent posts

Impossible to edit on Premiere!!! LAGGING

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma Bright
Impossible to edit on Premiere!!! LAGGING
on Jan 28, 2019 at 3:47:30 am

Hello, I've been having lagging issues with Premiere for quite a while now which makes it impossible to edit. When I import a clip into a sequence it automatically goes red for render and playback lags so much. I have cleared all my media cache and cleaned out a bunch of other files and what not on my computer... I can't think of anything else! I don't know what to do. Please help!!!

My computer specs:

macOS Mojave Version 10.14
iMach (21.5-inch, Late 2012)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
memory: GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
startup disk: 1 TB HD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Impossible to edit on Premiere!!! LAGGING
on Jan 28, 2019 at 8:56:35 am

What sort of footage are you working with? 1080p...4K? Red, H.264, ProRes, AVCHD? A machine as old as yours might not be able to handle native codecs (depending on what the codec is). You might need to transcode in order to to edit smoothly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jan 28, 2019 at 12:10:24 pm

How much memory you have is missing form your computer specs. In addition, it would be essential to know what storage you have and how it is connected.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 28, 2019 at 8:06:36 pm

Also, how large are the drives and how much free space left on them..
TC

Return to posts index

Emma Bright
on Jan 29, 2019 at 12:23:43 am

8GB of memory.
I have 778.36 GB available out of 1 TB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 29, 2019 at 5:48:14 am

[Emma Bright] "8GB of memory. "
That's about 25% of what you need to help your cause.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emma Bright
on Jan 29, 2019 at 12:22:27 am

1080p mostly. Sometimes 4K but not currently.

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Jan 29, 2019 at 12:22:33 pm

Hi,
I also do my editing on a less than super-powered computer.
I hope these tips are useful:
1. Try setting the playback resolution on the "programme" window (I think that's what they call the main output screen) down to 1/4 while you're editing.
2. Also make that window a lot smaller so the computer doesn't have to display such a big picture. Or even close it altogether if you're able to edit by audio alone sometimes...
3. Have you applied any effects to your timeline video prior to editing? That will slow it down too, of course. And check that the timeline is properly set up for the video you're using.

In that last case, I often want to apply a Curves setting to everything from a particular set of shots. I do this by putting those shots into a sequence on their own (without any effects), then use that sequence as my source for the clips on my main timeline.
Then, just before I do the final render, I apply Curves to that source sequence which, of course, adds that effect to everything I've used from that sequence in the main edit timeline. But I've not been slowed down by rendering the Curves while I was editing.

I hope that makes sense - I'm having trouble explaining it...
Good luck! I'm using Prem CS3 on a 2011 MBP and Prem CC on an i5 1.8Ghz PC with 4GB RAM!

- Paddy

Paddy, CreativeMedia.org.uk

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Jan 29, 2019 at 3:24:26 pm

OK. From what I see there could be some issues. One is the RAM. 8GB is minimum for PPro, 16GB if editing HD and 32GB if 4k. https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html
Another is editing off a single drive. Don't know what drive it is, but that can slow things down depending on if it's a spinning disk (5400 or 7200 rpm) and connection type. Even some SSDs can be slow for video editing.
And lastly, is the HD and 4K footage something like h264? There are certain codecs, like h264, that are more difficult to edit than others. You may want to try a proxy workflow to see if that will help.
TC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2019 at 7:45:37 pm

[Emma Bright] "1080p mostly. Sometimes 4K but not currently."

1080p...OK, that's the frame size. What CODEC? Many codecs are very processor intensive (AVCHD, MP4) and require a lot of system resources to manage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]