FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjust levels to Loudness Radar

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Freeman III
Adjust levels to Loudness Radar
on Jan 23, 2019 at 3:10:53 pm

I have a number of overlapping clips (8) for a fight sequence, which individually are adjusted not to exceed the -24 threshold (all legal) in the loudness radar. But when the sequence is played, the flight section exceeds the -24 threshold as per the yellow indicators.

Any suggestions on how to bring the clips down (and keep the same levels relationship) to the -24 threshold, without destroying the relationship of the various clips?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adjust levels to Loudness Radar
on Jan 23, 2019 at 6:31:44 pm

There's a master audio setting at the very bottom of the PP edit timeline. You can give that a shot. I'm pretty sure you can keyframe the levels on it, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
on Jan 23, 2019 at 7:50:38 pm

Thanks Dave for the swift reply.
Adjusting the master Levels also affects the other audio tracks.
My solution was to create a nested sequence which holds all the fight audio clips and the Volume Level for the Nest is lowered.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 23, 2019 at 7:37:29 pm

Well you'd need to mix the different audioclips so that they stay within the desired loudness level.

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
on Jan 23, 2019 at 9:38:07 pm

Hi Tero,
Adjusting the volume level for the nest the volume level relationship between the clips was maintained and Loudness Radar verified the adjustment to the -24 threshold.
Thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 24, 2019 at 4:23:23 am

Why nest it that way? Just route them to a submix channel (then you can keyframe it as a group)

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
on Jan 24, 2019 at 7:39:48 pm

I will have to investigate submixing....Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 27, 2019 at 3:11:47 pm

You can select a group of audio clips and raise or lower the volume in increments of 1db by using the keyboard shortcuts / left bracket key decreases / right bracket key increases. If you hold the shift key down the increments will be 6db. If you need more granular control, nesting or creating a sub group in the track mixer will work fine.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Joseph Freeman III
on Jan 27, 2019 at 9:06:31 pm

Thanks Herb for the keyboard shortcut tip, I hadn't thought of that.
My solution was to nest and adjust the nest.

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Feb 1, 2019 at 4:35:29 pm

This is the same net effect of a submix track, except that if your all your tracks combined to levels exceeding -0dB, you'd get some nasty artifacts. Pulling back the master fader of your nest fixes that, of course.

One advantage to using the nest method is your Audio Track Mixer has fewer faders - just one for the nested sequence vs. keeping all the faders for your SFX tracks plus adding one for the submix. The disadvantage of the nest is that you have to step in and out of the nest to adjust individual clip or track levels, whereas the submix method keeps everything out where you can easily get to it.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas
Birmingham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]