FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't merge clips in timeline created from previously merged clips

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Thompson
Can't merge clips in timeline created from previously merged clips
on Jan 22, 2019 at 9:51:55 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out my preferred workflow for syncing audio and video. I like to have them as single clips rather than sequences. I've been using the merge clips feature with 'audio' as the basis for Premiere to merge the clips (since our timecodes weren't synced on audio and camera). Generally it gets it right but obviously not always. When it gets it wrong, I figured it might be easiest to create a new sequence from the merged clip (right-clicking in the project panel to do so), then fixing the sync in the timeline, selecting all the clips, and right-clicking on the selected group in the timeline to create a new merged clip that is now synced up perfectly, but it is greyed out. I figured out that sometimes this option is greyed out when trying to create a merged clip from clips in a timeline because linked selection is on, but I took that off and it's still not working. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm on the newest version of Premiere on Windows. Thank you so much for your help!

Return to posts index

Nick Thompson
Re: Can't merge clips in timeline created from previously merged clips
on Jan 24, 2019 at 5:06:23 pm

Can anyone help on this please? Any ideas or thoughts welcome!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 25, 2019 at 12:46:20 am

Many people make multi cam sequences, which behave like single clips and can be adjusted after the fact, if you need to.

Return to posts index

Nick Thompson
on Jan 25, 2019 at 1:01:38 am

Thanks John, I appreciate the input.

Nick

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 25, 2019 at 5:01:56 am

"Create Multi cam sync sequence" should be used for any and all syncing in Premiere. The merged clips option should never be used.

If you don't have matching timecode with your media then simply select sync by audio. The multi cam sync function in Premiere works very well. I've yet to come across a clip that won't sync.

Tallmanproductions.net | Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2019 13.0 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Nick Thompson
on Jan 25, 2019 at 4:58:58 pm

Why should the merged clips option never be used?

I'm fairly new to syncing on Premiere, but this article says that many of the reasons people didn't like to use merge clips to sync in the past have actually been corrected.

I have a lot of footage to sync and I'm also going to be the one cutting the film so I want to make sure what works right for me technically and creatively.

Thank you so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Nick Thompson
on Feb 8, 2019 at 12:30:35 am

Hi Greg,

I would really love any more advice you have on this topic, re: my questions above in response to your original message. Anything helps, thank you.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Feb 8, 2019 at 4:14:44 am

Hey Nick-

That Frame.io blog post is good. It has a lot of relevant info on best practices with audio syncing. The main reason folks have avoided using merge clips is that it's a destructive effect. So if I merge a video clip with a secondary audio file the resulting merged file is a newly created file that no longer has any connection to the originating secondary audio file. And therefore, I can't match frame back to the original audio file from the merged clip.

This isn't true with multi cam source sequences. I think people get hung up on the naming convention. But in reality a multi cam source sequence is just a modified source clip. You can use it just like you would a normal source clip. You also retain all connections back to the originating media in case you need to go back and use it. In your timeline you can toggle how it gets edited in -either as a multi cam clip or as the source media file.

You'll see posts about how the sync function in Premiere doesn't work or doesn't work well enough. Those types of posts can be chalked up to operator error most of the time. If you have usable audio on your video files and you marry those files to secondary audio tracks, the" create multi cam source sequence" feature should work 99.9% of the time.

Tallmanproductions.net
Main Edit: Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2019 13.0.2 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio
Portable: Dell XPS15 9570

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]