FORUMS: list search recent posts

No solution over lagging / sluggishness playback in timeline - Tried soooo many things... Complete list incl.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Tremblay
No solution over lagging / sluggishness playback in timeline - Tried soooo many things... Complete list incl.
on Jan 19, 2019 at 5:37:00 am

Hi,

I bought a proper powerful laptop (see specs below), so I could work with UHD/4k in real time. I’ve done a bunch of projects since then, with the edited footage playing in real time with 90% no glitch. Sometimes even with color timing over (Lumetri) and it was still fluid.

Now with my current project in UHD, everything was fine as well, and whenever I had a strobby/choppy/sluggish/lagging moment, I just had to stop for half a second and press play and could continue to see the cut in real time for a good while. Now I’m at the 18min mark of my cut (in this Premiere Pro project of 43mb), and suddenly, everything became not only choppy, but often the image simple freezes while the audio continues on… And when I jump elsewhere in the time, the frame goes dark for a few seconds until it “finds” again the proper image of where the playhead is at. I thought that maybe my recent crash and recovered version might have been buggy, but no, cause I reverted to a previously functional saved version, and it now keeps lagging like that everywhere in the timeline all the time… And the more I try to scrub or test elsewhere, it simply freezes the image completely as the audio plays on, an only refreshes to the current frame once stop it from playing. In other words, it worsen the more I try.

I’m writing here because the deadline is coming up in 3 days (of course) and I've trying for 2 days now and can’t find a freakin’ solution…

A special note: I’ve always had to work with the monitor at full resolution for it to work normally. When I try to lower it (1/2, ¼ or 1/8), it simply doesn’t work at all. Weird. But again, in FULL resolution it never stopped me to work easily on even bigger/lengthier projects…

My timeline rarely gets red and is most of time yellow and playing without any real issues. I don’t have fx on my shots nor color correction in this one (aside from the occasional warp stabilization).

Here's a list of everything I’ve tried so far to try and correct the matter without ANY success:

-Cleared the media cache. (which is set on my C drive and always been)

-Optimizing is set at performance (always been)

-Cleared the rendered sections of all timelines.

-My Video Rendering and Playback is, and as always been set at "Mercury Playback Engine GPU acceleration (CUDA)" (can it get corrupted or updated?)

-Cleared my temp files on my C drive.

-Tried a different back up drive with the same material on it. No, it couldn’t be that footage was corrupted to begin with as all was nice and good in its first derushing/trimming phase. I don’t know if it’s relevant to note, but a scan and repair disk wasn’t possible to be performed for some reason on both drives… Also tried to scan them on my old laptop with Windows 7 on it, and it doesn’t give an error message, but in turn doesn’t do anything after a check, e.g. no confirmation or anything.

-Switched the USB wire with another one.

-Tried plugging it in my 3 other USB 3 ports.

-I’m using Premiere CC 2017 but tried a fully different installed copy of CC 2018 to test if somehow it just randomly decided to get “sick” (didn’t want to pay for the recent upgrade if it didn’t work) and that was (I guess) a proof that Premiere doesn’t seem to be at fault…?

-Checked if I had virus w/ Malwarebytes, even out of desperation, cleaned potential crap with Super antispyware.

-Made a new project and imported the old one in it (as I’ve heard sometime helped some editors).

-Obviously shut down and rebooted the computer a few times.

-Did a System Restore, 9 days prior to this event and when the project was obviously functional.

-Duplicated the timeline.

-My scratch disks were set on another drive with more than enough space, but tried it out on the same drive as the project (enough space also) and my C drive as well.

-My rendering engine is set at Mercury playback engine GPU acceleration (CUDA) (an also always was before)

-Updated my Nvidia card Quadro P3000 with the latest driver: Version: R410 U5 (412.16) WHQL Release Date: 2019.1.3

I might have even tried other options but at this point I don’t remember.

The only option left I’m thinking of is to proxy every clip, but with 20h of raw footage, it’ll take forever and if that doesn’t work, I will have wasted precious time which is not a luxury I want to try out at the moment as you can understand…

ANYONE has any idea what the hell is going on here??? It seems that this is the classic Deadline Curse art work at this point………..

Patrick

I have a:
Windows 10 Pro
HP Zbook 17 G4
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7 7700 HQ
Nividia Quadro P3000 video card
CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHZ with 16mb of RAM

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: No solution over lagging / sluggishness playback in timeline - Tried soooo many things... Complete list incl.
on Jan 19, 2019 at 7:48:05 am

Trash your preferences.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: No solution over lagging / sluggishness playback in timeline - Tried soooo many things... Complete list incl.
on Jan 19, 2019 at 4:49:37 pm

Sluggish 4k playback is often connected to a RAM deficiency. Have you opened task manager and monitored your RAM usage during playback?

16 gigs of RAM is the bare minimum for 4k and so it's not surprising that you'd run into sluggish playback.

If you're using a USB3 drive as your media drive that's also problematic. Do you have TB3 on that laptop? If so, I'd put that media on a Samsung T5 drive which would give you much better thruput.

I'd also recommend that you move your cache off of the C drive and onto your media drive.

Tallmanproductions.net | Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2019 13.0 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Patrick Tremblay
on Jan 21, 2019 at 6:52:14 am

Thanks Tero and Greg for trying to help me!

Trashed my preferences and moved my cache to my media folder.... And although great ideas, that didn't change a thing...

As for my RAM, I followed your advice and the diagnostic didn't turn any error...

I do understand that 16gb is not alot, but why did it previously worked very good, if not surprisingly good on another project that had twice the length and twice the raw footage in UHD as well (and from the same camera I might add)? And why would it play that well ONLY when it was at full resolution in the monitor? Total bogus stuff if you ask me, but I surely didn't complain back then.

So, as the last solution, I winded up converting files into proxies which is an eternally long process... I mean is it normal that converting a 1minute clip of UHD literally takes 10 minutes to do so? If there's a way to fasten that process, I'd love to know (besides getting more RAM which I doubt changes much as it's not really taking the full advantage when doing so, at least from what I saw when I checked the Task Manager). And btw, my prefs are set to performance and use 13gb for PP and 3gb for any other running app.

Pat

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 21, 2019 at 7:05:37 am

What codec is your UHD footage? If it's UHD compressed in H264 then that will greatly throttle performance.

But your proxy creation time is also odd. Your computer is beefy enough to allow for fast transcoding. It should not take 10mins to transcode 1min of UHD 4K. A more normal time would be around 2mins.

The specs on your system show a Thunderbolt 3 connection. Do you have a TB3 drive to compare thruput speed with your USB3 drive?

Tallmanproductions.net | Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2019 13.0 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Patrick Tremblay
on Jan 24, 2019 at 5:35:10 am

Hi Greg,

How can I verify if the UHD footage is compressed in H264? I didn't film the the material, and am not sure how to verify that. Thing is, I had no issue with editing a 18 mins timeline of that exact material while in full UHD before it just decided to act like that...

I do have 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports but no such drive... I'd love to, but they are really expensive, and I never needed one before that with the same type of footage coming from the same camera... So as you can understand, I'd rather figure this out before having to spend that kind of money.

And today I even tested my system/Windows and PP for RAM issues or every other operating system or hardware issues (CPU stress test, etc) with the help of the HP assistant tool, and all tests passed without a hitch.....

I just posted my Media Encoder issue in the proper forum just prior to read your text here. Here are some screengrabs of how it's acting when making the proxies. Pic incl.

Patrick

Return to posts index

Patrick Tremblay
on Jan 24, 2019 at 5:37:59 am

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Jan 25, 2019 at 3:33:29 pm

you can right click on any clip in a Premiere bin and select properties to see the details.

To see if it's a bottleneck issue I'd suggest you download the AJA System Test. Go to the AJA website and it's a free download. It'll allow you to see what kind of read/write speeds you're getting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]