FORUMS: list search recent posts

How does pro filmmaker really find their ideal sound effects quickly?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mehdi Davatgar
How does pro filmmaker really find their ideal sound effects quickly?
on Jan 17, 2019 at 3:35:36 am

Hello Pro filmmakers!

I am just starting out and finding the right sound effects is becoming very challenging and time consuming.

My problem is, when I hear an ideal sound effects in a film and find it suitable for my video too, I have so much trouble finding it on the 1000's of sound fx websites or in my own database! Even I don't know what it's called so I can search for it! sometimes I spend a full day just trying to find a right sound fx by try and error and listen to countless sound effects!mad!

I hope there's a more efficient way to do this. How does pro filmmaker really find their ideal sound effects quickly?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: How does pro filmmaker really find their ideal sound effects quickly?
on Jan 17, 2019 at 7:21:44 am

[Mehdi Davatgar] "How does pro filmmaker really find their ideal sound effects quickly?"

By hiring an audio/foley artist to do it.

Return to posts index

Mehdi Davatgar
on Jan 17, 2019 at 11:54:27 pm

Thank you Tero! but my requirements are very simple, I want to create something similar to this:

how can I identify the sound effects of a clip by listening to it, and find it on the web? my main issue is identify or name a sound after listening to it, any sound pack you can recommend that can cover all the sound effects used in this clip?

Cheers,
Mehdi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 17, 2019 at 4:49:03 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 17, 2019 at 4:55:16 pm

Since you don't say the TYPE of sound effects you want, Tero is correct. They must be made from scratch, which means Foley work. This means getting a Foley artist. Foley artists know the best way to make the best sounds.

Electronic sound effects are one thing. The sound of a 160-pound, 5' 6" woman wearing sandals walking quickly across a kitchen floor AND matching the woman's on-screen steps is very, very different.

Here is an example: would you know how to make the sound of a breaking leg bone? You break fresh celery stalks. Would you have thought of that? A Foley artist would.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 17, 2019 at 6:26:05 pm

I would have fallen on a patch of ice with my leg mic'd! Nothing like a practical effect!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mehdi Davatgar
on Jan 17, 2019 at 11:55:32 pm

Thanks Joe! my requirements are very simple, I want to create something similar to this:

how can I identify the sound effects of a clip by listening to it, and find it on the web? my main issue is identify or name a sound after listening to it, any sound pack you can recommend that can cover all the sound effects used in this clip?

Cheers,
Mehdi

Return to posts index

Mehdi Davatgar
on Jan 17, 2019 at 11:53:35 pm

Thanks Dave! but my requirements are very simple, I want to create something similar to this:

Cheers,
Mehdi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 18, 2019 at 1:45:59 am

I don't know if Adobe still offers it, but at one time they would let you download a sound effects library, free of charge as long as you were an Adobe customer.... uh, RENTER.

I still have my Adobe sound effects. I would imagine the offer is still good.

But I would use search terms like whoosh, ding, ping, baa, moo, bark, etc. to speed up the process a bit. It isn't always fast -- for 30-second commercials, I can spend an hour and a half looking for appropriate sound effects.

There's nothing automatic about the process. And as Shane writes, it's wise to build up a library of favorites.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mehdi Davatgar
on Jan 18, 2019 at 2:05:42 am

great! thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 17, 2019 at 6:44:35 pm

We have a well labeled library of options...slug in something close, or sometimes spot on. And then a pro sound mixer, who has years of knowledge of what they have and what will work will come in and replace them. Or, they will foley them.

After many years with a library of sounds, you get familiar with what you have and what will work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mehdi Davatgar
on Jan 17, 2019 at 11:57:40 pm

Thanks Shane! my requirements are very simple, I want to create something similar to this:

any sound pack you can recommend that can cover all the sound effects used in this clip?

Cheers,
Mehdi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]