FORUMS: list search recent posts

Work-Flow suggestions.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maddoux
Work-Flow suggestions.
on Jan 3, 2019 at 4:12:00 pm

We have 8 DVD live concerts of a national comedian created over many years.
Each DVD was created in PP so there is a project file for each.
I have been charged with going through all of this content and creating 1 minute stand-alone pieces.
I'm looking for suggestions on how others might organize this within a timeline.
Each PP project is a multicam project so I was considering nesting the multicam project within a new project and pulling the 1 minute clips from that. Ideas??
Any help is truly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Work-Flow suggestions.
on Jan 3, 2019 at 10:13:04 pm

Question: if you have all the original camera angles, you can choose to solo one angle for the period of one joke, which I guess takes about a minute. But "selling" the joke often means breaking up the shots and changing angles to the rhythm of the comedian's delivery, and the reactions, adding "punctuation" to his or her timing. This is a more artful way to present the joke, but in the original program it's unlikely every joke was punctuated and timed out in exactly this way. The director will likely have lingered a moment here, up-cut a shot there, to give a better visual flow.

So, are you aiming to make each minute segment a "mini concert", unto itself, re-building the entire little piece with wide establishing/intro shots, then a couple of different quick angles to cover the setup, punchline, and reaction, and if there is a follow-on "button" to that joke, an angle to show that? Or is this a more prosaic and simple "catalog" of the gags, and not concerned with interpreting them or giving them a visual structure? If the latter, you can just pick one angle and let it roll the whole time. And thus you organize the elements to favor that process.

Because how you wanna approach this is going to inform how you organize the elements and how much stuff you need to import in the first place. You can get lucky a lot of the time and just lift whatever the original live switch or edited master did for a particular joke... but sometimes you'll need to add stuff, repair a cut, or shift a cut because the gag is now independent of the rest of the set. That's a concern in jokes where you're working with the rule of three, one mention and two call-backs. And then sometimes a call-back, absent the previous context, means nothing and will fall flat.

Comedy is serious business.

Return to posts index

Tim Maddoux
on Jan 3, 2019 at 10:35:41 pm

Thanks so much for the reply Mark and yes, I agree comedy is serious business.
Excellent questions!

I do have all the original angles and projects but the 1 minute (+ or -) I will be lifting out will be pulled from the final edit. I will not be re-assembling/editing the bits in any fashion or to any great degree nor will there be a need to. I also will not be including call-backs in these pieces.

I guess my question is more of an organizational one with regard to the timeline.
My first inclination, as an example, is to nest the entire show into a new project to V1 & A1. From there I would make simple cuts at the beginning and end of a bit, move that bit to V2 & A2. So on and so on. I would then need to render out each bit as individual files. This is desirably non-destructive but not sure if there is a better way.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 3, 2019 at 10:48:35 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jan 3, 2019 at 10:48:50 pm

So indeed, sounds like you're just "slicing a salami".

I expect the "slices" need a canned intro and outro, and probably a bug or lower third on each? Once the whole salami is sliced up on the timeline with the blade tool, and you've cut out extraneous bits like show graphics and cut-aways, the slices are all you have left. You throw a marker down at the start and end of each slice...?

I don't know diddly about AE yet, but isn't there a way to write an AE expression to automate dropping the stock intro/outro and logo bug at every marker you lay down?

Or... you repeatedly copy/paste the intros/outros onto one timeline, as many as you need, like the bread slices in a swandwich... then drag the sliced clips into the other timeline with a ripple? Then do your exports from there?

(Never discuss editing while hungry.)

Return to posts index

Tim Maddoux
on Jan 3, 2019 at 10:56:03 pm

"Slicing a Salami"!! That's perfect!

Music director is working on music and I will create an open and close later.

Good stuff! Thanks Mark!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]