FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for editing with CS6 on older PC please!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
Suggestions for editing with CS6 on older PC please!
on Jan 1, 2019 at 9:42:06 pm
Last Edited By Bill Thomas on Jan 2, 2019 at 4:24:01 pm

Hi all,

At work I edit with an old Mac Pro 12 core Intel Xeon with 12GB Ram and a Usb3 external drive. I am at LEAST able to edit in 1/4 resolution easily for 1920x1080 footage I get from Videoblocks.

BUT, I need to be able to edit at home with the same 1920x1080 footage and my system just can't keep up! Here are my current specs:

AMD FX 6100 Six Core processor 3.30GHz with 8GB Ram. I have a 250GB SSD I use for my Primary drive running Premiere Pro CS6.

I just installed a USB3 250GB SSD external drive for the raw footage.

I can't even play that footage in real-time at 1/4 resolution. I have to render anything to watch in real-time which takes FOREVER!

Weird thing is that some 1920x1080 clips play OK in the sequence, but some won't even play. Maybe it's their codec??

So, here's my main question; Can I get away with spending $100 on 16GB Ram (instead of the 8GB I have now), or do I need a CPU that's faster to edit 1920x1080?

Is it the Ram that's keeping my system from playing back the raw footage in real-time? Or the CPU?

I have been out of the numbers game in so long, I have no clue what it takes to edit at this resolution anymore!!

Thanks all! I appreciate any and all info you can give me!!

Bill

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Suggestions for editing with CS6 on older PC please!
on Jan 2, 2019 at 5:52:08 pm

USB 3 isn't helping you. No matter how fast your drive might be, that interface is still a bottleneck.

Not familiar with details on AMD processors, but if you are working with h.264 codecs, the processor may or may not have the specific hardware built on-board for coding/decoding that common codec.

More memory is always "more gooder".

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on Jan 3, 2019 at 3:42:44 am

Thanks Jon!!

If not USB 3, then what? Besides eSata, I thought that was about the fastest these days.

Bill

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jan 3, 2019 at 11:54:02 am

eSATA would be more promising than USB 3. Another thing - how full are your drives? Even SSD's can have performance falloff at their capacity limits, although not the same reasons for it.

What are the specs of the footage that won't play in Premiere Pro? Will it play in VLC Media Player?

Lastly, you aren't running any footage from your internal drive, right?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on Jan 7, 2019 at 10:18:00 pm

Another thing - how full are your drives?
External SSD is only 5% filled. Internal OS SSD is about 85% filled

What are the specs of the footage that won't play in Premiere Pro? Will it play in VLC Media Player?
Will need to get that when I get home. Size is 1920x1080 - that's all I know for now.

Lastly, you aren't running any footage from your internal drive, right?
No, strictly using the external.

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Jan 3, 2019 at 9:50:03 am

I would try the old offline proxy method, i.e. transcode to an edit friendly codec (mpeg2?) for editing, then replace back to originals for exporting.
Google it to find more info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]