Premiere Pro CC 2019 Rendering
on Dec 20, 2018 at 9:55:29 pm

So guys, I'll be short. Recently, I bought Macbook Pro 2017 model:
CPU: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
SSD: 512GB
GPU: Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

So, if you ask me, pretty good performance, on paper, but when it comes to rendering in Premiere Pro CC 2019, then, there is some strange thing happening.
So, I was rendering about 2hour long clip, to h264 file, an .mp4 extension, and it took about 5 HOURS OF RENDERING. To be honest, there is some color correcting on clips in beginning of video, and after that, just one adjustment layer on top of all clips with exposure to one plus stop and a bit contrast, and that's all. On older Macbook I had, rendering was significantly faster, even tough it was all rendered in Premiere Pro CC 2017 and my Macbook had NVidia dedicated GPU card. So my question is, is this something wrong with my new Macbook or it could be Premiere Pro's fault, or even, I didn't set some things right?

And, yes, here is a screenshot of CPU usage and GPU usage...if you ask me, pretty strange.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Premiere Pro CC 2019 Rendering
on Dec 21, 2018 at 1:01:55 am

[Ivan Knežević] "On older Macbook I had, rendering was significantly faster, even tough it was all rendered in Premiere Pro CC 2017 and my Macbook had NVidia dedicated GPU card."

Was the older machine also rendering the exact same kind of footage? The same dimensions, frame rate, media container & codec?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ivan Knežević
on Dec 21, 2018 at 11:07:36 am

Hello Dave, thanks for reply.
No, I didn't rendered same exact footage on older Macbook, but I rendered much complex footages over years of using it, with more LUTs applied, Noise added, name it. But frame rate, dimensions, codec and media container are always the same, Full HD 25fps, h264 .mp4 file. Maybe it could be that I felt like it was faster, but then again, why Premiere Pro is forcing Intel graphic card instead of AMD dedicated one, which has more power.

Also, recently I rendered some short video on new macbook in older Premiere Pro CC 2017, and I noticed that AMD GPU usage was higher. (sorry but I need to mention more things I noticed between these two Premieres) On Premiere Pro CC 2017, scrolling through timeline as butter smooth, and clips were appearing almost instantly on my monitor window, with Premiere Pro CC 2019 that isn't a case, it takes about a minute or longer if I decide to scroll at the middle of clip, like it is conforming clips every time I try scroll through some parts of timeline. And sometimes, it even eject my external drive (where clips are located). One more thing to say, LUTs are horrible in CC 2019, I always have frame rate dropping, and it lags even on 1/4 quality playback...with older Macbook (in CC 2017), that wasn't a case, and in new Macbook in CC 2017 that isn't case too.

I honestly more and more think it could be a CC 2019 problem, but I don't get it, what they are trying to do with newer software, cut every single user with weaker performances, and if that is a case...ok, but why do that to Mac users who use 2017 models? (which, if you ask me, isn't that old and weak laptop)

Seriously, I like Premiere Pro and all workflow in it, I'm using it over 5 years or so, but I think that I should give a try to Final Cut (even tough I don't like it workflow, but it seems I'll be forced to use it)

Sorry for long post ☺

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 21, 2018 at 4:10:20 pm

You could also try the basic DaVinci Resolve. It's free. It may not do all the color correction and color grading you want, but video may play in real time. All you waste is a little time to find out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ivan Knežević
on Dec 21, 2018 at 5:14:28 pm

Yeah, but I need Premiere Pro for multicam stuff, I do that a lot. But anyway, thanks for reply

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Dec 21, 2018 at 7:11:38 pm

Resolve can do multicam in an almost identical manner to Premiere Pro. If that's your only objection, it's not really a valid one. And the comment regarding color correction somehow being inferior on Resolve is rather laughable. Resolve was built as a color correction program and is used by a number of the highest end post facilities for just that purpose.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]