FORUMS: list search recent posts

LUTS made in Photoshop look different in Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annie Warren
LUTS made in Photoshop look different in Premiere
on Dec 19, 2018 at 8:39:35 pm

I must be doing something wrong!! My adjustment layers on my 'screen grab' look great in Photoshop. BUT when I export my .cube file and apply that same LUT onto the footage it looks terrible. All black and blocky. BTW I am applying the LUT through the 'Creative' window in Lumetri.
The stupid part is.... I have been through this exact issue before, about a year ago. I seem to remember I was doing one thing wrong in my export process. I am just so frustrated because I can't remember WHAT I changed to fix the issue. I've Googled and searched high and low, watched turtorials etc.
I'm now a bit desperate for some help. Does anyone happen to know what I'm doing wrong? (I SWEAR I'll write it down this time... )

Return to posts index

Annie Warren
Re: LUTS made in Photoshop look different in Premiere
on Dec 19, 2018 at 8:56:58 pm

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Dec 19, 2018 at 11:27:53 pm

did you select a high value in the GRID in the LUT export ?

Return to posts index

Annie Warren
on Dec 20, 2018 at 1:50:25 am

Hey Jerry... yes, I just left it on default, which I believe is 'high'. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll go and try a higher setting.

Return to posts index

Annie Warren
on Dec 20, 2018 at 11:10:22 pm

I tried 'maximum' grid points (256). It tool a while to save, and ages in Premiere to 'apply' then did NOTHING to the footage in Premiere. Soooo, I tried one at 200. It also does nothing. Has no effect on the footage at all. Hmmm. How many grid points SHOULD I use?

Return to posts index

Annie Warren
on Dec 22, 2018 at 12:35:32 am

Hello?? Can anyone help me? Am I missing something obvious?

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Dec 22, 2018 at 12:36:28 am

i don't know. maybe the issue is elsewhere.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 24, 2018 at 8:14:40 pm

i can almost certainly admit that they won't match at first, because they use color management differently.
premier with color management on, uses your monitor profile, converts it to rec. 709 2.4 then applies a BT.1886 transform. this is regardless of what your source footage is. you'd need to either setup photoshop for previewing in a BT.1886 format or use a preview lut in premiere, like a BT1886 to sRGB/web color.

Return to posts index

Annie Warren
on Dec 26, 2018 at 9:49:55 pm

Thanks so much for your reply Chris... and on Christmas morning no less!!!
Ummm... your answer sounds VERY knowledgeable, but you sort of lost me at "premier with color management on, uses your monitor profile" Sorry.
Can you suggest another way to make LUTS please, with a more accurate indication of how it will look on the footage? The way I'm currently doing it in PS is pretty hit and miss. This is really tricky footage to grade. Band lights.... ugggh. I'm just trying to give it more contrast, and shift the lighting color from blue to much more aqua (cyan).

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 27, 2018 at 1:57:01 am

when I create luts, I use iwltap, then set it to 64 cube iradas lut with trillions of color from a png HALD image. I don't use photoshop to make luts directly. It kinda looks like there is a color shift going on there as well. how does it work when you set photoshop to use your monitor's profile for proofing?

The problem is, the web is srgb 2.2 and premiere with color management on is BT1886(with it off its rec. 709 but ignores your monitor's profile). you could use a temporary viewing lut to offset grade in a faux srgb 2.2. firefox would match the best unless you'd want to fiddle with chrome's color profile tags. i'd use VLC over quicktime. quicktime is kinda all over the place with color depending on old atom tags from 2005 and custom luma levels.

here's two luts depending on if your going from premiere or premiere to web/VLC/firefox. one darkens, other lightens. its a viewing lut only, so you'd disable prior to exporting.

if anyone says it don't work, i'll stop posting, but I haven't heard anything negative yet.
bt1886 to srgb/rec709 2.2 and srgb to bt1886
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HHxxaOWifI3TEhBwEyGSl139x2jRM9dO

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 2, 2019 at 10:43:01 pm

I've seen this happen (the blue gradient being affected, if that is the issue) with footage.

In the lumetri panel look for the "HDR" box and check it if it's not checked, or uncheck it
if it is checked. I know that worked for me and someone else for some concert footage once.

Return to posts index

Annie Warren
on Jan 3, 2019 at 12:23:14 am
Last Edited By Annie Warren on Jan 3, 2019 at 12:24:57 am

Thanks Chris (Borjis)
That is a simple suggestion that I will most definitely try!! And YES you're right. It is only happening on the blue footage!

Return to posts index

Annie Warren
on Jan 3, 2019 at 12:11:22 am

Thank you VERY much for all that info Chris. I'll admit I don't understand everything you said. I googled and found IWLTAP, so that's a great start. I will definitely try setting PS to use my monitor profile. I am confused at you reference to using different browsers and VLC player though. I'm guessing you are referring to what I view the finished, exported movie on? If so, I haven't gotten that far yet. The two images I posted are simply what my adjustments on a snapshot (taken IN premiere) looked like in photoshop, versus how the exported LUT looks when applied through Lumetri 'creative' in Premiere.
So I am in Premiere editing.... I take a 'snapshot' then open that in Photoshop and make a LUT . THEN I apply that LUT to the footage in Premiere. Obviously THAT is not an ideal workflow for colour correcting and grading because the results look so different. I will try IWLTAP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]