FORUMS: list search recent posts

deinterlacing from progressive challange

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Poliskey
deinterlacing from progressive challange
on Dec 13, 2018 at 11:28:21 am

Hi,

I get a video clip from my customer, that was recorded interlaced and exported to progressive mp4. Now it looks awfull with ghosting (or whatever the term of jugged edges is). Is there any highly magic trick to fix it, if I don't have original footage?

Mike

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: deinterlacing from progressive challange
on Dec 13, 2018 at 11:55:17 am

If it is converted with a scale and that was not done interlace aware, the short answer is 'no'.
(The long answer does not help you either.)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Dec 13, 2018 at 12:32:55 pm

Sadly thank you;)

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 15, 2018 at 7:20:04 pm

I would try REVision DeFlicker. Very hard to predict how much it can do in this case, but at least worth a try. If you can share a 5 second clip, I could give it a try.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Dec 18, 2018 at 12:58:07 pm

That would be helpful and educating, thank you!
Here is a short sample:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kl55aPhSfb-mE0o0oGnZdIvorV5vvgcg

Mike Poliskey

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 18, 2018 at 1:21:34 pm

This is a clip with pulldown applied to go from 23.976 to 29.97, nothing wrong with it. Read up on how to inverse telecine with the tools you have.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 18, 2018 at 2:50:06 pm

I don't believe this was a 24p source clip, or when I advance frame by frame I'd see a pattern of repeating frames and I don't, there is movement on every frame. Seems it was a 1080i source (very) badly converted somehow.

A second issue you will need to correct - the supplied clip is 1920x1080 (Full HD), however the actual video portion is somewhat smaller with black surround, part way between 1080 HD and 720 HD at the odd size of about 1479x846 (720p is 1280x720).

Once you figure out problem #1, I'd probably export as 720p then. Put clip in 720p30 Sequence and scale until video just fits screen (about 88%), then export 720p30.

Good luck!

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Dec 22, 2018 at 11:12:41 am
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Dec 22, 2018 at 11:25:28 am

You are correct: it isn't possible to fix this in Premiere or with any regular de-interlace method, since the footage has been scaled in addition to having been output with interlacing, resulting in footage with blurred interlacing.

Here is a highly magic and complex fix in After Effects (CC2018). Explanation follows.

The upper and lower fields were track matted through a field matte (horizontal lines). The footage had to be scaled down by 88.888 % to make the footage match field lines (footage had been enlarged by 112,5% when output). Only a single-pixel slice was taken from each field to minimize the effect of the opposite field due to blurring. This resulted in an almost clean but sliced version of each field (single-pixel-high field with 3 empty pixel rows between them). Each was then copied three times and moved one, two and three pixels up respectively to fill in the empty rows. The upper and lower fields were precomposed separately. The upper field was then moved up two pixels to be in the correct location in relation to the lower field. The offset between the upper and lower field timing was removed with a Time remap expression and finally the upper and lower fields were blended together at 50% opacity to keep the details from both passes. A small vertical blur of one pixel followed by unsharp mask sharpening was done to regain the look of the original footage.

12971_weddinginterlacesamplefix.mp4.zip

12970_aedeinterlace.aep.zip

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Jan 2, 2019 at 5:41:45 pm

Kalleheikki, thank you for project file and your help; the result is just awesome! The only problem I got now is with time remap. The sample I sent was taken 6m19s from beginning. First I've just replaced sample footage with the full length original, but it doesn't work. So I found matching frame and started from this point - now it looks fine. So I have this 6 minutes missing and can't find the solution. I don't use time remap and don't know to much about it, could you suggest how to fix it?

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Jan 2, 2019 at 6:28:02 pm

Update: looks like I've managed. Once again thank you, it was pure magic๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jan 4, 2019 at 3:25:04 pm

Great. Yes, the time remapping requires that you either start from the right frame or modify the offset. Sounds like you discovered that.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]