FORUMS: list search recent posts

Favorite long-term storage solutions

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
Favorite long-term storage solutions
on Dec 7, 2018 at 9:14:22 pm

Howdy,

I haven't been here much lately, just muddling through with my work as best i can. ☺ For the last couple years, i've been a fan of transferring all my data (especially raw footage) to BluRay discs for archival. I make 2 copies before I erase the data cards. Now, with internal hard drives getting so cheap (actually cheaper per GB than BD discs...and WAY more convenient), i think i'll get away from my massive collection of BDs and start archiving on hard drives. I use a caddy, so can buy internal drives and pop them in the caddy and go.

What are you all doing for archival, and if you're using internal drives, what are your favorites?

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Favorite long-term storage solutions
on Dec 7, 2018 at 9:56:17 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Dec 7, 2018 at 9:59:27 pm

LTO tape is still the safest way to go.

If you are going to store on hard drives, I would recommend one of these cases to keep humidity away:

https://turtlecase.com/collections/3-5-hard-drive-cases/products/3-5-hard-d...

Ideally, you would have 2 backups, and you would keep them in separate locations. I would also spin them up at least once a year.
Then consolidate on new drives after 5 years or so as bigger hard drives come along.

As for brands, I would pick from Hitachi or Toshiba first.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Dec 8, 2018 at 9:52:20 pm

hi tad,
when you "pop internal drives in a caddy" does that mean your computer has a caddy device? Or is that an external caddy device that takes "internal" drives?
I've never used a caddy so I would like to learn. I've been backing up on individual external drives, keeping one set on my desk and one set in a safe deposit box for an off-site location. So I have an odd collection of little boxes with different capacities. Different manufacturers, different cable interfaces, at different buying occasions. At least the sizes are regularizing.
I work at maintaining a log of hard drives with locations and contents.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Dec 8, 2018 at 11:41:35 pm

Hey Robert,

It's one of these puppies:

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/1015623591092101298_7077927054469481...

USB 3, super handy. You can also put in a laptop drive (i think), but i've also "saved" more than one portable drive that i thought was dead. Google that technique, but by breaking off the external case of a portable drive, you're left with just the drive, and it will fit into a smaller slot on the caddy. Transfer off the data and violin! :-)

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Dec 10, 2018 at 4:02:12 pm

I use a toaster for a number of things, including archival. I'm not really sold on any single drive manufacturer. I think the majority of mine are Seagate and have been fine. These single drive cases are nice for storage. https://goo.gl/HLL6Wu
I don't worry about humidity really, I live in the desert. ☺
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]