FORUMS: list search recent posts

Managing storage for speed improvements

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Hunter
Managing storage for speed improvements
on Dec 6, 2018 at 3:42:01 pm

I have a MacBook Pro (2018), its only 512GB, so on the internal drive I have the OS and Premiere Pro.

I also have an external SSD (Samsung T5, 2TB) and an external 4TB normal Seagate HDD (5,400rpm).

Do I want to keep my project and source media on the external SSD and the media cache and scratch disk on the external HDD or the other way around for best speed??

Thank you.

(To save me posting in the FCPX and Resolve forms too, if anyone knows the answer the the same question regarding those two programs that would be appreciated )

Return to posts index

Harrison Gruber
Re: Managing storage for speed improvements
on Dec 6, 2018 at 8:33:54 pm

I keep everything except software on external for faster performance

Return to posts index

Leo Hunter
on Dec 6, 2018 at 8:49:09 pm

Hi,

That is what I was planning on doing. But I was wondering if I had 2 external hard drives. One SSD Samsung T5 and one normal HDD, is there anything where speed doesn't matter and I can save that to the normal HDD??

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Dec 7, 2018 at 7:13:49 pm

Depending on size and scope of the project, you're probably best off using the one SSD drive, and leaving the 4TB for other types of storage, such as original camera cards and such.

The other consideration too is connection type. An SSD is good and fast, but if you're not filling up the connection pipe (i.e., Thunderbolt, Firewire, USB 2, etc.). In other words, depending on the connection type, both harddrives may give you the same performance regardless of how fast they are.

The bigger consideration might be how quickly cache/render files balloon on you. I believe by default Premiere stores cache on the boot drive, which is probably fine in most cases, but at 512 GB might dwindle quickly if you don't stay on top of keeping it cleaned out.

Splitting across two drives might be a consideration for managing storage, but I don't think there's an inherent speed bump--at least not one that you'd notice. You're probably just fine off the SSD alone. But admit, I could be wrong about this. One the plus side, it would mean only hauling around one HD.

Same for FCPX (not sure about Resolve), though for FCPX keeping the cache external to the Library might help you manage that storage better than keeping it internal, but still more a preference based on workflow and organization. Don't think there's speed gains either way.

For balance, I found these threads. Though old, one advocates the multi-drive setup, and the other notes SSD is fast enough for everything (dependent on connection type):

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2099128
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1039174

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]