FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing 50fps advice needed.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emma Clarke
on Dec 3, 2018 at 6:02:18 pm

I capture old .avi (25fps) files from my MSI laptop through Thunderbolt to a Black Magic Ultra studio Mini-Monitor then HDMI out of there to a Teranex 2D and upscale to 1080 50p then Thunderbolt out and capture to my PC. (both rigs in Premiere pro CC)
All goes well if I output at 25fps but I get stuttering at 50 fps output.
Is this because I need a faster HD
to write to (maybe SSD) or some other setting?
I have been video editing for years on SD files but now must convert archive files to HD and would like to move up to 50fps.
Any tips on why I get the stuttering on both sound and video other than HD speed?
We output our video on screens up to 10 feet wide so will 50fps enhance this over our current 25fps?
Thank you , Emma.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capturing 50fps advice needed.
on Dec 3, 2018 at 7:02:49 pm

Yes, if you deal with 1080p50 files, that will require faster hard drives than 1080p25...and SD. That's a lot of frames. A good RAIDED hard drive (raid 0 or raid 5) will be able to deal with this. Maybe an SSD would as well. But yes, 1080p50 will need fast drives.

[Emma Clarke] "We output our video on screens up to 10 feet wide so will 50fps enhance this over our current 25fps?"

Is the footage 25fps to begin with? If so, converting to 50fps will gain you nothing at all...other than larger files. The source is still only 25fps so the 50fps will have one repeated frame. If your footage starts at 50fps, then capturing at 50p will look very smooth. This is great for sports and dancing, as the action is smoother.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 3, 2018 at 7:56:50 pm

I guess your stuttering has nothing to do with drive speed but with a lack of knowledge on interlacing and upscaling.
I suggest you have a look frame by frame / step field by field to see what is going on.
THen,
If you want to go from SD interlaced to 50p progressive, you do gain going from 25i to 50p, as you do not have to de-interlace that reduces sharpness.
BUT, you end up scaling one FIELD (app 690 pixels x 260 pixels after cropping to active area) to one HD frame (1920 x 1080)
So, even if you have the best upscaling algorithm, this WILL be very noticable, as you stretch the image 3 times horizontal, and 4 times vertical.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Emma Clarke
on Dec 4, 2018 at 10:56:37 am

Thank you for your swift response and knowledge.
Much Appreciated
:0)
Emma

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]