FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing MiniDV tapes - problem with NTSC tapes (dropping all frames)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Poniedzielski
Capturing MiniDV tapes - problem with NTSC tapes (dropping all frames)
on Dec 2, 2018 at 8:26:31 pm

Hi,

My setup:
- miniDV camcorder DCR-HC39E PAL
- connected via Handycam station DCRA-C123 (FIrewire)
- capturing with Adobe Premiere CC 2017 (Win10)

Everything works fine when I capture my own miniDV tapes, recorded in PAL. But when I try to capture NTSC miniDV tapes, recorde on my friend's NTSC camera, things go shitty. When I connect my camera with NTSC tape in it to Premiere and hit F5, the preview area of the footage looks normal - black. But when I hit "Tape" button (to capture all the tape) it starts capturing like it should, but... the preview area stays black (while video on preview window of camcorder plays as it should) and all the frames of the captured video are dropped. So - nothing is captured.

Connection with the camera works fine (I can play, pause, rewind, etc. from Premiere Pro capture control panel), but I think there is problem with "translating" NTSC tape, played on PAL device connected to Premiere.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

Creative Creature :)

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Capturing MiniDV tapes - problem with NTSC tapes (dropping all frames)
on Dec 3, 2018 at 1:47:38 am

The Camcorder likely only plays back 25fps and likely not compatible with 29.97fps NTSC Tapes.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Michal Poniedzielski
on Dec 3, 2018 at 11:53:42 pm

But howcome the camcorder manages to play those NTSC tapes on it's own? Because I can watch all of the recordings via camcorder's foldable viewport with no problem...

Creative Creature :)

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 4, 2018 at 7:51:59 pm

I have run into this exact problem with DV in the past. Technically it's not playing back the NTSC Video on the built in LCD it just looks like it is.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 9, 2018 at 7:11:19 pm

The camera can play back NTSC just fine for monitoring, but it cannot do standards conversion over FireWire, or produce a stable enough signal for digital capture. This is true of most cameras I have encountered.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]