FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gradually change a music video clip tempo (BPM) while at the same time maintaining the pitch (Song key)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thano Karras
Gradually change a music video clip tempo (BPM) while at the same time maintaining the pitch (Song key)
on Dec 1, 2018 at 7:14:58 pm

Hi to all,

I am doing a mashup with music video clips in Premiere Pro. I need at times to gradually change the tempo of the music video (BPM) while at the same time maintaining the pitch (Song key). So for example a song starts at 120bpm and after 60 seconds I want it to drop at 115bpm gradually in order to mix it with the next song at 115bpm. All that while maintaining the pitch constant. How I can achieve that?

Many thanx :)

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Gradually change a music video clip tempo (BPM) while at the same time maintaining the pitch (Song key)
on Dec 1, 2018 at 11:11:28 pm

MIght want to look at Audition.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Thano Karras
Re: Gradually change a music video clip tempo (BPM) while at the same time maintaining the pitch (Song key)
on Dec 2, 2018 at 9:41:42 am

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the reply. Audition will not do, it adds unnecessary steps, all I need is an automatic pitch shifter to follow the speed remapping

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 2, 2018 at 2:42:22 am

I am going to bet that the reason you want to do this is because you have never seen -- or heard -- it done. I recommend you consult an audio professional about this.

Why? Because they are the only people who may have experience tbis situation. People who edit video for a living don't know about this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thano Karras
on Dec 2, 2018 at 9:39:31 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I am an audio engineer, a DJ, videographer and video editor. I never done this before, that is compining all the above skills in one project. I can gradually change the speed of the music video clip with time remapping->Speed. However, the pitch changes as well. I could use the pitch shifter effect for the audio track, but that is laborious, since I have to rely on my hearing every time I need to achieve that speed ramping (The mashup has 100+ songs).

So to rephrase and be even more specific, is there a way to maintain the pitch automatically, while the speed of the clip gradually changes with speed remapping?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 2, 2018 at 3:58:58 pm

As an audio engineer, I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to your question.

You know there is pitch-shifting software available, but it only works on audio whose speed has been altered by a FIXED amount. There's nothing that will work on audio whose speed varies, as you want to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thano Karras
on Dec 2, 2018 at 4:01:38 pm

Hey Dave, I was hopping on a more automated solution. It will take more time but can be done as I described!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 2, 2018 at 6:35:25 pm

Well, good luck. If you're successful, tell us how. I have never heard of a way to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Dec 3, 2018 at 4:51:11 pm

Changing music audio speed (BPM) while maintaining pitch will require Audition. Premiere Pro on the timeline won't get you there.

An ongoing, continued increase in speed while maintaining pitch will involve cutting up the music into discreet pieces, and gradually increasing the speed on each piece. The more small pieces, the more gradual the ramp-up in speed will appear to be. Fewer pieces, and each change will become more obvious.

There's no means I am aware of that would give you an "adjustment wheel", so to speak, allowing you to very gradually ramp up speed while maintaining pitch. Something may exist, but is likely specialized.

If you are unaccustomed to using Audition for managing speed, the basic techniques are demonstrated in this video.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Thano Karras
on Dec 4, 2018 at 11:30:21 am

Thanks Jon for the reply, I appreciate it. Still researching, I will come back soon when I have more concrete methodology for others to know as well

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Dec 5, 2018 at 2:46:10 pm

I think you'd need to look into DJ software. Sounds like something that a DJ might be interested in doing. Since you are a DJ, you should have resources there. I've never heard anything like that in any video editing application.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]