I’ve been happily editing on Adobe Premiere Pro for a few years. Lately I’ve been creating a 640 x 480 test for a 15-minute animated movie. All frames are 640 x 480. Everything has been going perfectly for months and months. Yesterday, after a computer reboot, the preview monitor started displaying at only 1 fps (though the timecode counter ticks along at the appropriate rate) Exports to .mov and .m4 format also happen at that rate.
I ran a hardware test. Everything is OK
I created a new project and tested frames and video clips from a variety of sources. Same problem.
I disconnected all peripherals. Same problem.
I reset Premiere’s preferences to default and cleared cache. Same problem.
I upgraded Premiere to CC2019. Didn’t help.
I disabled “mercury transmit.” Didn’t help.
Disabling Enable Mercury Transmit in Premiere Pro doesn’t help
All photos that I’m using in this project are exports low-res from c4d. The photos I created today and those I created a year ago all have the problem, so it’s not a change in the c4d setting.
On Premiere, lowering the memory so that other apps are allotted only 3G didn’t help.
changing resolution of playback preview to 1/2 doesn’t help (1/4 is greyed out)
Rrendering effects in the timeline didn’t help.
The problem happens on all sequences, not just those with effects.
“Lag” doesn’t seem to be what’s happening. When I scroll through, the preview is not choppy. It’s perfectly smooth. The “1 FPS” problem only happens when I Play what’s on the timeline and when I export it.
The footage is not 4K. These are all animated frames, only 640 x 480 (created for a test) at 29.97 dpi from Maxon Cinema 4D. They worked for months, up until yesterday afternoon.
(And, by the way, Chrome streams video files just fine.)
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac13,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 2220.127.116.11.0
SMC Version (system): 2.9f8