FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selection and move-clips questions

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CHristophe Pettus
Selection and move-clips questions
on Nov 26, 2018 at 9:16:02 pm

I'm an FCP editor coming to Premiere, and (of course) there's some functionality that I am used to in FCP 7 that I'm not sure how to do in Premiere. Apologies in advance if this is obvious and I just missed it!

1. Is there an equivalent of the FCP "range selection" tool? I'd like to select a range of the timeline, and operate on it, regardless of clip boundaries. Is setting an in/out point on the timeline the only/correct way of doing this?

2. An operation I do all the time in FCP is select a one or more clips, and then move them by a fixed amount. The FCP way I did this was typing "+1:00" (or whatever) to get the move to happen. Is there an equivalent way of moving by an exact amount on the timeline, or is dragging the way to do this?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Selection and move-clips questions
on Nov 26, 2018 at 9:35:17 pm

1. Range selection - nope- vote here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/35...

2. Move by timecode- Nope. Can’t find a request for that. Feel free to add your own!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 27, 2018 at 7:11:33 pm

[CHristophe Pettus] "1. Is there an equivalent of the FCP "range selection" tool? I'd like to select a range of the timeline, and operate on it, regardless of clip boundaries. Is setting an in/out point on the timeline the only/correct way of doing this?"

If you have no clips selected, you can set in/out points and the resulting "region" can be copied or cut (depending on the track selectors). You must deselect all clips for this to work.

[CHristophe Pettus] "2. An operation I do all the time in FCP is select a one or more clips, and then move them by a fixed amount. The FCP way I did this was typing "+1:00" (or whatever) to get the move to happen. Is there an equivalent way of moving by an exact amount on the timeline, or is dragging the way to do this?"

This works the exact same way in Premiere. Select the clips, type your increment, and when you hit Enter they will move accordingly.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Christophe Pettus
on Nov 27, 2018 at 7:23:25 pm

> This works the exact same way in Premiere. Select the clips, type your increment, and when you hit Enter they will move accordingly.

Huh. Really? I just tried it (selecting the last clip in the timeline, typing), and nothing happens. If I click in the current-time box and type there, it accepts it, but it moves the playhead rather than the clip. I must be missing something...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 27, 2018 at 8:04:23 pm

[Christophe Pettus] "I just tried it (selecting the last clip in the timeline, typing), and nothing happens."

Very odd. It works just fine for me and I use this all the time. You did use the plus or minus sign before the value, yes?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Christophe Pettus
on Nov 27, 2018 at 8:10:03 pm

> Very odd. It works just fine for me and I use this all the time. You did use the plus or minus sign before the value, yes?

Ah, I see! Keypad "+" and digits are distinct from main keyboard "+" and digits. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 27, 2018 at 8:14:45 pm

[Christophe Pettus] "Ah, I see! Keypad "+" and digits are distinct from main keyboard "+" and digits. Thank you!"

Ah sorry, forgot to mention that. Yes, that's correct.

I can't imagine using anything other than the keypad for this kind of thing (because it's so ridiculously faster and easier) so it's hard to remember that others still do.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]