FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips on Color Correction workflow? Propagating edits across master clips is infuriating!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Zou
Tips on Color Correction workflow? Propagating edits across master clips is infuriating!
on Nov 26, 2018 at 1:02:45 am

It's nice that you can copy and paste effects to clips in the project bin to have them all be master effects, but the fact that you can't delete them is very annoying. I know you can "Disable" them, but then you'll just have a graveyard of disabled effects in the master clips. Should I not be leaning so hard on master clips? Should I be using stacks and stacks of adjustment layers on similar clips? I just want to be able to edit without having to wonder if I forgot to edit a given clip.

Does resolve work better in this regard?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Tips on Color Correction workflow? Propagating edits across master clips is infuriating!
on Nov 26, 2018 at 1:26:37 am

[Andy Zou] "Should I not be leaning so hard on master clips?"

Yes. Color correction is meant to be done in the sequence, not on clips in the browser. 3 reasons.
1 - Master clips effects bloat the project size.
2 - Color correction requires clip-to-clip shot matching.
3 - You may have multiple sequences that use the same clips, but each with a different look.

Don't use adjustment layers either. Are you having issues with the Lumetri controls?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andy Zou
Re: Tips on Color Correction workflow? Propagating edits across master clips is infuriating!
on Nov 26, 2018 at 2:37:47 am

So you don't recommend using any shortcuts for batch adjusting clips? I don't have any issues with them, but if I have a dozen takes with the exact same lighting, it doesn't really make sense to me that I should edit each one individually when I could edit them all simultaneously with a master or adjustment layer.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2018 at 2:51:38 am

[Andy Zou] "So you don't recommend using any shortcuts for batch adjusting clips?"

No.

[Andy Zou] "if I have a dozen takes with the exact same lighting..."

Maybe I'm missing what you are trying to do, but you would only have one take in the finished sequence. Why color correct all takes, when you only need one? Also, how do you know what the proper correction is until you see it in context with the others shots around it in the final edited sequence?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andy Zou
on Nov 26, 2018 at 2:55:55 am

[Oliver Peters] "Maybe I'm missing what you are trying to do, but you would only have one take in the finished sequence. Why color correct all takes, when you only need one? Also, how do you know what the proper correction is until you see it in context with the others shots around it in the final edited sequence?"

Well, let's say we have a simple dialogue sequence. CharacterA_Take1.MOV is a great take, and I mostly use it back and forth with the other takes. Now I have that file in multiple clips in the same sequence. The other takes I am intercutting it with are also fairly simple; let's say I just have CharacterB_Take2.MOV and WideTake1.mov. If I am constantly intercutting these three takes, wouldn't it make sense to only have to correct 3 master clips instead of each individual clip?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2018 at 3:34:23 am

[Andy Zou] "Well, let's say we have a simple dialogue sequence. CharacterA_Take1.MOV is a great take, and I mostly use it back and forth with the other takes...."

Sure. This is a fairly common scenario. It's easy to copy and paste Lumetri settings from clip to clip. You can also copy the first A-cam clip's settings, then find all the matching clips in the sequence (which selects them) and paste attributes. then repeat for the B-cam.

However, in reality, a colorist will typically still tweak the shots, because multiple takes under similar lighting conditions aren't exactly the same. Shadows change, actors' positions change and light falls on them differently, etc.

The only master clip effects I ever use are preset camera LUTs, which typically only means Alexa cameras.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andy Zou
on Nov 26, 2018 at 3:41:24 am

Won't copy Pasting from clip to clip double them up?

I did not know that selecting all matching clips in sequence was possible.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 26, 2018 at 3:48:26 am

[Andy Zou] "Won't copy Pasting from clip to clip double them up?"

You would start with no correction on any of the clips. If you do it manually, you would copy the Lumetri effect on the first clip, then advance to the next clip for that camera and paste in the effect control panel. Then repeat the process for the next camera, and so on.

If you use the "find" method, you would copy the first clip, then use "find" based on your criteria (e.g. all clips with Cam-A in the name). This selects all matching clips. Deselect the first one (which has your Lumetri effect) and then paste attributes to the remaining selected clips.

A third approach is to edit your different angles onto different video tracks and then paste to the clips only on that track. But in my mind, this is the hard way to do it.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 26, 2018 at 4:18:37 am

[Andy Zou] "Does resolve work better in this regard?"

Oh god yes. Lumetri is limited and pretty terrible to work with IMO and I only use it if I'm working on a really fast turnaround project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]