FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major encoding problems tempting me to switch from PP (PC) to PP or FCP (MAC)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Corcoran
Major encoding problems tempting me to switch from PP (PC) to PP or FCP (MAC)
on Nov 24, 2018 at 10:49:51 am

Hi everyone,

I wondered how successful I would be switching from PP2019 on PC to a MAC (maybe FCP) system (never used either of these) and importing an important 90 minute timeline I urgently need to deliver?

The reason...

I'm having major, major problems with PP2019 having upgraded from CS5 in the Summer (whcih never let me down!) The problems seem to grow exponentially!

Problems include:
- exporting from PP2019 to ME. ME opens but doesn't queue the sequences. I've tried everything recommended by Adobe: (upgrading GPU drivers, trashing preferences, renaming ME's 13.0 folder to "old13.0", cleaning etc) and just last night I copied my entire 3 hour timeline to a fresh new project and it worked (except for getting the 1609629695 error that apparently has been a mystery to Adobe for a few years). That approach won't work again today and it's even now saying I can't use CUDA to encode giving software as the only option!

I'm using...
PP CC 2019: Version 13.0.1 (Build 13)
ME CC 2019: Version 13.0.1 (Build 12)

Windows 10 Home 64bit (10.0, Build 17134)
Dell XPS8900 BIOS 2.4.0
Processor Intel Core i7-6700 CPU 3.40GHz (8CPUs) 3.4GHz
RAM 32768MB
GPU GeForce GTX745 (Driver 416.81) (11.08.2018)

I wondered what you thought? I'd have to buy in the next few days to make it work!
Very grateful to anyone who has read through this multi-issue thread!
Very grateful for any help you can give.
have a good day!
Dan

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Major encoding problems tempting me to switch from PP (PC) to PP or FCP (MAC)
on Nov 25, 2018 at 12:05:12 am

Was your project originally created in CS5? That's a big jump and I would expect some issues as well. Bringing that project to Mac may work, or make it worse. What format are you encoding to?

Why not just encode without media encoder for now?

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Major encoding problems tempting me to switch from PP (PC) to PP or FCP (MAC)
on Nov 25, 2018 at 6:18:19 am

I think Adobe lets you download CS6 if you're on a subscription. My friend swears by CS5 on a PC. Why you want Pr 2019? Good luck.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Daniel Corcoran
on Nov 25, 2018 at 2:30:08 pm

Many thanks Robert for your comment and good wishes.
Yes I wonder whether CS5 or CS6 would have been fine for me, but it seems ok at the moment.

The encoding problem seems to have been solved by using ME2019 but having ME2018 installed as well, and also by dragging the sequence across to ME rather than using File>Export.

Many thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Daniel Corcoran
on Nov 25, 2018 at 2:27:26 pm

Thanks Vince,
Many thanks for your comment.
Yes you're right it was a big from CS5 and I tested the import out on the trial version of PP before buying it. The only major problems I found were:
- it didn't carry across any transitions (of which there are many) in my timeline as it is the backdrop of a theatre production
- it broke some of the audio tracks up

On CS5 I used to encode to wmv or h264 (both took ages especially the double pass for wmv)
Now, I only really use h264 for projection onto a big screen.

In terms of encoding without ME, I'm sorry I'm going to show some ignorance here: I didn't know there was an alternative as on export, it's ME that normally automatically just did it.

Very grateful for your help.
Dan

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 27, 2018 at 2:54:36 pm

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, the 2019 software seems to have a lot of bugs. I'd tell you to use 2018 but you would not be able to open the newer project in the older software. Switching platforms would likely not help.

Let me ask you this - what format are you exporting to, and what issues are you seeing? If trying to encode straight to H.264, what happens if you export to an intermediate codec first, such as DNxHD? Without knowing anything about the issue you are having, hard to make any suggestions. Please provide as much info as possible - using any third-party plugins? Does export always fail at the same point? Whatever info you can provide.

If you can provide a screen shot of Export Settings panel, that will also be very helpful

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Daniel Corcoran
on Nov 28, 2018 at 11:50:32 pm

Thank you so much Jeff for commenting.

Yes I generally export to h.264 and have never tried an intermediate codec. I used to use wmv or h264 when using CS5.

I think, though, I seem to have found a solution to the problem. It doesn't solve the root of why ME opens but doesn't receive the files from PP when using FILE>EXPORT, but at least I can export now! What works is if I make a subsequence of what I want to export and then drag it to AME2019's queue window, it receives it without any problems - just as long as I save the PP project just before dragging the sequence. If I don't save it first I get an error saying that it's missing some file (which it isn't!). Maybe this is how many people do it - I'd always just done FILE>EXPORT.

But this method only works now that I have AME2018 also installed (but not open)!

PP is still crashing regularly though.

In terms of plugins, I only have a few transitions from FilmImpact.net

Thanks for your tip about it not necessarily being a solution to switch platforms.

Very grateful to you.
Have a good day!
Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]