FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips and suggestions on hard drive types and setup

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
Tips and suggestions on hard drive types and setup
on Nov 22, 2018 at 11:03:57 pm

Looking to get a new drive setup for a new build and wondering about some things. Was going to do two 1tb SSDs in Raid with the media files, and a 1Tb Nvme drive with the cache and proj files with the OS on another SSD. Would the Raid setup really be much faster than 1 good SSD? Is the location of where I wanted to put things going to the right spots or should they be reversed?

Any tips or better suggestions appreciated.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Tips and suggestions on hard drive types and setup
on Nov 23, 2018 at 1:02:20 am

Depends on what you're editing. 1 TB is nothing for many of us. I can fill 20 TB in a month and that's with heavy archiving.

So SSD is not really an option budget wise. But if you work exclusively in h.264 and your projects are small, that might work.

Otherwise, I'm big fan of the Pegasus or Caldigit offerings in RAID 5. Chronosync for backup (on a Mac).
You can keep media cache and projects on the same drive.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Nov 23, 2018 at 1:43:53 am

Yeah I don't do huge projects right now. I'm not in a major area and it's mostly smaller stuff. If someone ever came to me with a TB of footage for one single project I'd be astonished so 1 TB of storage for working footage will be fine for me. I just want it to playback smooth. I am getting all types of footage from go pros to drones, some in 4k. Would just rather not have to transcode much if I don't have to. Right now I get massive dropped frames with the go pro and DJI footage, though not sure if it's the CPU that's just the bottleneck as I have the media and cache split across drives and cache is now on an SSD. I'm currently only on an i5 2500k. Will be very likely running an i7 9700k with this as well, 32gb ram, gtx 1080...Sometimes I multicam but not often, and when I do, usually only 4-6 streams of 1080. I know they say look to double the bitrate of your footage when ti comes to disk throughput and the largest mbps I have in a file in my current project is 706206.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Nov 23, 2018 at 2:08:20 am

Your dropped frames on GoPro is normal. It’s super compressed and requires huge CPU load to decode. So in theory, you should be using proxies with an intermediate codec like Prores or DNX HD for playback and editing. CC 2019 makes the process very easy, but that’s where your drive space might start to matter.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Tom Smith
on Nov 23, 2018 at 2:09:43 am

Yeah i already have been making proxies, was hoping with a much stronger cpu and a better drive setup I may be able to escape it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]