FORUMS: list search recent posts

usb3 to USBc adaptors.... thoughts and suggestions please ....

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karen Yarosky
usb3 to USBc adaptors.... thoughts and suggestions please ....
on Nov 19, 2018 at 12:29:40 pm

I am upgrading my Macbok Pro mid project and all my raw footage lives on USB3 external hard drives . The new Macbook Pro's have only USBc inputs so wondering if anyone has suggestions - I have 2 external hard drives - so bad idea to get an adaptor that has both hard drives going into ONE USBc jack (better each go into a separate one?). Apple only offers USB 2 single dongle adaptors (fore some ridiculous reason) so best 3rd party suggestions? Any feedback on the adaptor docks that have card readers, 2 USBc plugs etc (some people say they are easily bumped and dislodged from the computer) . Just trying to figure out the easiest move at the moment and any product suggestions. (I know that best case would be thunderbolt drives etc ... but just trying to make a lateral move at the moment). Many Thanks to this community .... !!!!!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: usb3 to USBc adaptors.... thoughts and suggestions please ....
on Nov 19, 2018 at 4:36:25 pm

Just call OWC, they sell everything you need and more, and they give excellent hardware advice to people upgrading Macs, cuz that’s on the their essential reasons for being.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Nov 20, 2018 at 1:35:24 pm

FWIW, we've had good success with the Apple TB2 to USBC adapters. Not what you're looking for, I know, but adapters could indeed be a solution. But 2 into 1 might be risky if you're relying on the computer to power the drives.

Though a bit more than adapters, I would think one of OWC's docks would be a smart move and offer plenty of flexibility going forward.

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

Karen Yarosky
on Nov 20, 2018 at 2:46:08 pm

Many Thanks for the info. Can someone please explain what the difference is between USB - C and Thunderbolt? On previous posters suggestion I spoke to someone at OWC who claims that a USB -C port can be glitchy with Thunderbolt because they are different technology, but after speaking with Apple they say USB - C is just the description for the port and that they are one and the same thing. I am assuming that you will get no extra speed benefit unless you are using Thunderbolt drives but is there an actual difference or is it just semantics? Also ... I am seeing adaptors run from $8 to $30 (all claim USB 3.0 to USB - C) ... so how does one explain that? And finally - suggestions for HDMI and card reader adaptors. I am not feeling the love for Apple these days (c'mon .. really .. NOT one or two extra ports for the rest of the world who uses HDMI monitors, USB 3 external hard drives etc ...). Ultimately though I just need to edit so do not want to fry my external hard drives and make sure I am getting the best I can out of them while I am working! Anyone out there editing off the new MacBook Pro's without thunderbolt drives that can chime in? Many Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Joby Anthony Jr
on Nov 20, 2018 at 3:13:13 pm

I can't comment on editing with the new MBP, but (and I'm still getting the hang of this too) it's my understanding that USB-C is only a connection type. That connection type can run two different protocols: Thunderbolt and USB. So instead of two different ports for two different protocols, there's now one port that can handle either (and apparently much more, such as HDMI--I think--and power?). So something of a universal connection point.

I "think" that's where something like the OWC dock comes in handy. Making all the connection conversions from older connection types to the newer universal connection type.

-- Joby.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]