FORUMS: list search recent posts

image stabilization suggestion

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Neely
image stabilization suggestion
on Nov 3, 2018 at 7:09:18 pm

Hey all,

have transferred a full 16mm feature print and am doing some color correction in premiere. An issue I'm having is the transfer underwent some minor shaking throughout. I'm thinking it's because the weight of the big 16mm reels caused some vibration with the transfer.

Anyway, I tried the warp stabilizer in different areas to correct, but even fine tuning it, it is doing a bit too much corner pinning or scaling.

Does anyone have another stabilizing plugin or app they would receommend. Remember, this is for long clips (30_ minutes of 16mm film with minor shake throughout. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Rick

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: image stabilization suggestion
on Nov 3, 2018 at 7:43:35 pm

can you cut down your 30min. long clip? you might get better result stabilizing shorter clip duration...

Other solution are plugins like RealSteady, Mercalli... if you have FCPX or DaVinci Resolve, they also have stabilization tools that would give you different results.

Good luck,

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Nov 5, 2018 at 3:50:38 pm

Yes, I would "break up" the reel at every camera cut, and do those clips individually. Now if it is one long continuous take, that's another story, of course.

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2017.1 (as of 8/2017)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from UHD MP4, HD MP4, and HD P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
on Nov 5, 2018 at 4:06:10 pm

Appreciate the responses.

Yes, the issue here is I'm not dealing with individual shots. It's purely a 90 minute 16mm film transfer. It could be upwards of 600-700 shots I've have to insert edit points. The vibrations are simply minor shaking from the system vibration. nothing more.

Have to figure something else out as I really don't want to fork out $400-500 for those really thorough plugins.

Thanks again!

Rick

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Nov 5, 2018 at 4:47:31 pm

There is no plugin that will do 90 minute at once.
You will have to break up the footage.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
on Nov 5, 2018 at 4:49:05 pm

Hey Ann,

yes, I figured that. Just trying to find the happy medium- between 90 minutes and 90 frames :)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 5, 2018 at 5:27:44 pm

I don't have an answer for your problem but I think I can explain it for you.

Motion stabilizer's are designed to correct for in-scene erratic motion caused by camera operator issues and external vibrations. What you are probably seeing is 16mm film weave, caused by film motion within the guides that were supposed to hold the film steady while filming. It was always an issue when creating 16mm pin registered titles as their steadiness accented the underlying movement that might otherwise go unnoticed. What you need to do is stabilize the camera weave, without trying to stabilize the actual content of the footage.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything that's coded for that.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
on Nov 5, 2018 at 7:17:34 pm

Herb,

you are dead on. Yes, that was how the film was captured. I did reduce vibration significantly by breaking up the machine and re-securing the parts on a firm worktable (plus reducing tension on source reel). It's just the remaining vibration I'd like to clean up a bit. Pretty sure the client will be happy with what I've done so far, but I'd always like to improve.

Rick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]