FORUMS: list search recent posts

Petition for Adobe to work on slow Premiere Pro performance on iMac Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wolfgang Amri
Petition for Adobe to work on slow Premiere Pro performance on iMac Pro
on Oct 29, 2018 at 9:33:56 am

Hi People,
many of you probably have realized that the performance of premiere pro on multi core (Macs) is really sub par.
If you believe a petition for Adobe might help fix the issue, please support
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/please-adobe-make-premiere-pro-ready-fo...

I have bought an iMac pro a while ago hoping to speed up my 4k workflow. But in fact it is even slower than my old iMac. Reading through forums I found out that I´m not the only one. I know I could have done some research before I bought, but who would have thought that a new iMac Pro could be slower than a 4 year old iMac???

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Petition for Adobe to work on slow Premiere Pro performance on iMac Pro
on Oct 29, 2018 at 12:31:09 pm

Huh? Not seeing that on our systems. That's with 5 iMac Pros and 3 Retina iMacs.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Amri
on Oct 29, 2018 at 2:35:31 pm

Thanks Oliver. That´s interesting. Many, many people in the web seem to have that problem. Quite a few have returned their iMac Pros due to that. From what I understand, that is correct for all Mac(Pro)s, because of their multi-core architecture.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 29, 2018 at 3:24:17 pm

I've recently been working on the new imac pros at a client location and they are screaming fast. Premiere works just fine. There's a lot of missing information from your post. What are your full specs? what type of drives are you working from? single drive? raid? What type of 4k media? is it h264? Please fill in the details and maybe there's another reason for your issues.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2019 13.0 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Amri
on Oct 29, 2018 at 3:43:53 pm

Hi Greg, thanks for your reply.
I use the 8-core 3.2GHz Version with 32GB Memory and Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176MB.
I work with SSDs only - internal and external via thunderbolt (2). Occasionally I do a quick edit from a USB3.0 cheap external archive hard drive. The speed isn´t much slower from there.

I edit with ProRes files and h264 (mostly sony a7sII rII and III + Atomos Shogun), there is no real difference with the issue whether I use prores or h264.
The machine is lighting fast for everything else but Premiere Pro.

But as I said, I don´t seem to be the only one with this issue, it´s pretty common from what I read in the last few months. Most people (even long-time Mac users) recommend windows PCs for Premiere Pro because of that. I just talked to a guy who said his MacBook Pro was faster than the iMacPro.

Here is just one of the many threads discussing this issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2456635

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 29, 2018 at 4:47:39 pm

[Wolfgang Amri] "Here is just one of the many threads discussing this issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2456635"

Interesting thread, but I don't see anything I wouldn't expect. More cores does not mean better performance. In fact, it can be worse, because a machine with fewer cores will tend to have faster speeds per core than one with more cores. Most apps do not use the power of all the available cores. So just because a machine has 10 cores doesn't mean that any given app takes full advantage of all 10.

Assuming you are on High Sierra and CC2019, I would recommend setting all of your render/GPU settings in AE and PPro to Metal and not OpenCL or CUDA. But of these are being deprecated.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 29, 2018 at 4:59:58 pm

Just as an additional thought... In my experience, Premiere Pro has never been great with 4K at full resolution on any machine. At least on a Mac. When I've had to do extensive projects with 4K, I tend to use FCPX if I don't have the time to create proxies in Premiere. It deals with 4K much more fluidly than does Premiere. However, that has been steadily improving over the past couple of CC versions.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Wolfgang Amri
on Oct 29, 2018 at 5:48:10 pm

Thanks, Oliver,
that´s exactly what I read in the web. But Adobe likes to call itself industry standard. With FCPX and others being so much faster on Mac, I wonder why they don´t put more efforts into this.
Sometimes even After Effects performs better than Premiere Pro.
Rendering is actually pretty OK (it doesn´t even slow down rendering when I work in other programs like photoshop, etc. - I couldn´t do that on my "old" iMac) - what´s most painful though is editing. Sometimes I press the play button and have to wait 2 seconds before it starts playing - same when I stop - it´s really laggy. I have to close the program and reopen it. Then it works a while, but it constantly gets slower and laggier. The situation gets worse the more clips I import into the project. Unfortunately editing is the most important for me - I could render at night when I´m not sitting on the machine, but I need it to work well during the edit process.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 29, 2018 at 3:40:55 pm

[Wolfgang Amri] "From what I understand, that is correct for all Mac(Pro)s, because of their multi-core architecture"

I think it depends on your expectations. That's nothing inherently better about these machines (or a trash can Mac Pro, either) that would make standard playback of 4K better, assuming some sort of professional codec (ProRes, DNx, XDCAM, etc). That's really more a factor of RAM and drive speed. Where you should see differences is in effects playback and render speeds. For example, some of the renders we do on the iMacs have the fans screaming, whereas the iMPs just take it in stride. Resolve renders are noticeably faster, as well. I suspect that's because the iMPs are using a better GPU than the iMacs.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]