FORUMS: list search recent posts

A way to batch delete 2 of 4 audio channels of a camera’s clips?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Frazier
A way to batch delete 2 of 4 audio channels of a camera’s clips?
on Oct 27, 2018 at 8:37:53 pm

I have over 100 clips from a camera that outputs 4 mono audio channels. Only channels 3 & 4 actually have audio and the others just take up space on the timeline and create a mess each time I try to insert them into a sequence.

So, is there a way to batch delete these unused channels? The only way I think to do it is lengthy & involves PluralEyes. Even if I do that, I’ll have a stereo file (rather than dual mono) and that may create issues with interpreting the audio and using a proxy workflow.

Thanks for any help!!

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: A way to batch delete 2 of 4 audio channels of a camera’s clips?
on Oct 27, 2018 at 9:26:36 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Oct 27, 2018 at 9:28:37 pm

Select all the clips, right click modify > audio channels.

Set channels to mono (if you want separate channels), number of audio clips to 2, then check channels 3 and 4.

Note that that this will not affect clips already in the timeline.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Oct 27, 2018 at 11:26:52 pm

Thank you for that. It does the trick, unfortunately though it does mess up the Proxy workflow. I remember being warned about this. In my case, the ability to toggle b/t the Proxy and the online version is gone and whichever version I had last on the timeline seems stuck there.

Don't suppose there are any other ways, are there? Even if I do my long progress, I get a stereo track and I figure I'd want to make that dual mono so I can pick b/t the audio options. Stereo to dual mono would also be interpreting the audio, which would also mess up the proxy workflow. So, unless there's another way to do this, I think I'm going to have to live w/ the 4 channels of audio.

Return to posts index

John Heiser
on Oct 29, 2018 at 2:06:58 pm

Modify audio and Interpret Video are not available in proxy workflow. So what you need to do is change the actual media files, rather than the way Premiere sees them. QTChange from Video Toolshed will do that. It is destructive, so once you delete the tracks, there's no getting them back; maybe not a bad idea to make sure you keep a copy of your original media.
https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/qtchange/

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas
Birmingham

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Oct 29, 2018 at 9:30:34 pm

Thank you for that, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for me. I tried removing tacks 1&2 (which was what I needed, and the result is no audio tracks at all. Then I tried just audio track 1, or A1 in QTChange speak, and the result was still no audio tracks at all.

My best guess is the issue lies in the Sony FS700's apparently having 4 tracks of audio in 1 audio stream. At least, I believe it only has one steam b/c that's what the MediaInfo app says.

So, I'm not exactly sure how this works, but it doesn't want to work for me. Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 30, 2018 at 8:24:10 am

To explain a bit on what QTchange does, and what to expect.
An 'audio track' in QT is 1 block of audio data in the file. That can be a single channel, or more than one.
You can see it in QT pro.
So, if a clip has 4 sound channels, it could be there are 4 audio tracks with each 1 channel, or 2 audio tracks each with 2 channels, ore one audio track containing all 4 channels.

QTchange can flag an entire track as being enabled / disabled. But this of course then goes for all channels inside that track.
(Hence in the old days most pro formats had discrete tracks, sometimes even in seperate files.)

To make it more complicated, not all software will honour that flag. (It is nothing more than a simple warning in the file 'mute this', the data is still there.)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Oct 29, 2018 at 11:21:03 pm

Also of note, I figured out a way to do this like this:

1-In Premiere by put all the clips in a timeline, mute all but audio channel #3 (the hotter one), exporting that as a mono file, doing the same for #4 (the softer one).
2- in Audition, put the two mono clips in a stereo multitrack session. From there, make a stereo file by panning the mono files to opposite sides, selecting them, then "Bouncing" the two selected clips to a new Stereo track.
3- using PluralEyes to substitute the clips' native audio w/ the correct section of this new stereo file.

However, I the result above is definitely lower in volume when compared to what I get in Audion by:
1- importing one of the clips into a stereo multitrack session,
2- right click each file - clip properties - Source Channel Routing - then make tracks 3 & 4 in left and right. I
3- export this clip to a stereo mixdown.

So, I'm totally confused. And going the Audition method would involve messing w/ 104 clips as I can't find a way to change the Source Channel Routing for multiple clips at once.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Oct 29, 2018 at 11:26:01 pm

You could also use audio track mixer window. Use the small arrow on top left to toggle effects, that well you can apply a fill left/fill right to the entire track and mute all other tracks.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]