FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't import .Mov file into PP (.mov was created with iMovie, trying to import on Windows)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Yost
Can't import .Mov file into PP (.mov was created with iMovie, trying to import on Windows)
on Oct 22, 2018 at 2:07:33 am

I have a bunch of converted home videos that were rendered into .MOV's using iMovie by my Dad. My Dad gave them all to me on an external drive, and I'm now trying to import them into Premiere Pro on Windows to edit them. I can play the video in VLC with no problem, but any other application will only playback the audio, and/or give me an error message saying that the file is not supported.

When I open the file in GSPOT, it reads "Codec Status Undetermined".

Is there a way to install the proper codec to allow me to successfully import the .MOVS into Premiere Pro. If not, how can I convert the .MOV's into a windows-friendly format?

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can't import .Mov file into PP (.mov was created with iMovie, trying to import on Windows)
on Oct 22, 2018 at 6:59:01 pm

iMovie used one of two codecs when it came to HD. HDV, or Apple Intermediate Codec. The HDV codec Apple used made files only viewable on a Mac...oddly enough. But since you play them on the PC, I believe they are the other file type, Apple Intermediate Codec.

I don't know the solution, as you are on Windows. On the mac side, I'd have plenty of options. But I just wanted to provide additional information that might be helpful.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
Re: Can't import .Mov file into PP (.mov was created with iMovie, trying to import on Windows)
on Oct 22, 2018 at 7:36:09 pm

Without knowing the codec it's a crap shoot.

You can see if Handbrake will convert it, or if VLC can play it, you could convert using VLC. Handbrake is easier, IMO.

Or you could find someone with a Mac to convert them.

Let us know any results!
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]