FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export isn't smooth

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernhard Walzl
Export isn't smooth
on Oct 17, 2018 at 6:31:41 pm

Hello!

I have footage that was shot on a Sony FS5 (HD, 29,97p).
I then did the edit in Premiere and exported the whole lot as HD, 29,97p, H264.

I have had the chance to get to see my film at a commercial movie theatre. However I have noticed that the movements aren't smooth and it looks a bit choppy. Even the credits at the end where quite difficult to read because of this.

This is the second time that I have noticed this when screening a film of mine in the movie theatre - different cinema, same export settings.

So I doubt there is an issue with their projector, but rather with my setup.

Here is an example of the footage with some movements.
12817_kaipekachopchop.mp4.zip

Do you have a smooth playback? If not, what do you think could this be and what can I do?
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Export isn't smooth
on Oct 17, 2018 at 9:02:03 pm

It's not choppy at all. The first pan, possibly. And yeah, scrolling credits are always an issue, which is why many people use ENDCRAWL (third party app), or After Effects and a mathmatical formula for how fast it goes.

But no, this looks fine to me...at least the file I downlaoded.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bernhard Walzl
on Oct 17, 2018 at 9:29:07 pm

It is choppy on the big screen. On my computer screen I don't have this issue, or just a tiny bit maybe..

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2018 at 10:54:46 pm

Then gotta be something on their end...do they convert it after you give it to them? Play it off a hard drive?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bernhard Walzl
on Oct 17, 2018 at 11:02:42 pm

Well, the only thing I could think of is that the cinemas uses 24 frames per second or the European standard of 25 frames. But it doesn't make sense because it shouldn't be choppy at all even when viewed at 24frames...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 18, 2018 at 12:48:25 am

Yeah, that would be a BIG difference. Taking your 30p and converting it to 24p? Yeah, that's removing 6 frames per second, and it will look darn choppy. If you shoot for cinema or web, shoot 24fps...23.98. 30p works fine for TV (and yes, web)...but for cinema...they require 24fps, so if you plan on showing in a cinema, 24fps needs to be your shooting format.

yeah, that's absolutely the reason...30p to 24p...yup, choppy.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bernhard Walzl
on Oct 18, 2018 at 12:52:37 am

Well, thats the issue. It is shot to be screened mostly on Youtube. However there will be two or three screenings on TV and cinema.

What a dilemma :)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2018 at 12:55:33 am

Anything produced for cinema should be shot, edited and mastered at that native rate for the best results. YouTube will take that rate just fine. Then convert for any broadcast TV.

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 18, 2018 at 12:51:09 am

If you delivered 29.97 and they are playing it at 23.98, 24.0, or 25.0, then it will look like frames are being dropoed and therefore “choppy”.

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]