FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extreme large .AVI clip's duration shortens drastically upon import to Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Yost
Extreme large .AVI clip's duration shortens drastically upon import to Premiere Pro
on Oct 15, 2018 at 2:35:10 am

Hi all,

I am converting VHS to .avi using VirtualDub for my capturing.. The software is converting the VHS to a .avi file (YUY2 codec). I'm converting long tapes (some over 2 hours), some of which end up being 80-130 GB, all of which, I'm saving onto an external drive.

When I import these huge files into Premiere Pro, some of them only show a duration of 1:30-1:50 or so, even though the raw source clip is over an hour and a half long or more. However, I can play the ENTIRE source clips in windows media player and other media apps with no problem... Premiere is just not ingesting the clip properly for some reason.

Can some one tell me if there is a fix for this? Do I need to convert or compress the source files to allow Premiere to properly process them? Any and all advice would be extremely appreciated!

Chris

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Extreme large .AVI clip's duration shortens drastically upon import to Premiere Pro
on Oct 15, 2018 at 10:10:36 am

I am guessing you are capturing lossless.
Might want to try the dv codec which will give you about 13 gig/hour.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Chris Yost
Re: Extreme large .AVI clip's duration shortens drastically upon import to Premiere Pro
on Oct 18, 2018 at 4:40:38 pm
Last Edited By Chris Yost on Oct 18, 2018 at 7:50:36 pm

I tried converting the file to the Cedocida DV codec 2.3 using Virtual Dub. This decreased the file size from 94.3 gb to 17.7. However, when I import the file into Premiere, the file is STILL somehow shortened from 1:19:55 to 00:01:11.

Any idea whats going on here? I have never heard of Premiere chopping a duration down like this.

Thanks for the help, all!

Return to posts index

Chris Yost
on Nov 30, 2018 at 6:35:47 pm

I recaptured in DV and reduced the total file size from 94.3 gb to 17.7 gb. However, when I import the new file into Premiere, the duration of the clip is STILL reduced from 01:19:55 to 00:01:11. SO FRUSTRATING -- I've never encountered an issue like this.

Does anybody have any clue? The codec is dvsd and container is DV type 2 AVI.

Thanks all

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]