FORUMS: list search recent posts

Putting 29.97 fps footage into a 23.97 fps project

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Buck
Putting 29.97 fps footage into a 23.97 fps project
on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:00:58 pm

Hi there,

I've been editing a short film I've been working on over a summer. For a couple of external shots we used a drone to follow a car driving through the country. I've noticed both inside Premiere and on export this footage is slightly laggy. Checking the properties of the footage it seems it might be because this footage was shot at 29.97 fps where the rest of the footage is at 23.97. What is the best way for me to deal with this?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Putting 29.97 fps footage into a 23.97 fps project
on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:30:43 pm

The best way to deal with 29.97 footage in a 23.976 timeline is to slomo the 29.97 footage an exact 80%. This gives you a 1-to-1 frame rate of the drone footage to the timeline rate. Otherwise the 29.97 footage will have to drop frames if it isn't otherwise corrected.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Buck
on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:43:31 pm

Thank you for the quick response Oliver!

To do that should I right click, then change the speed to 80% or should I do it via time remapping?

And is changing the speed definitely better than interpreting the footage to 23.97 fps?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:49:33 pm

[Jonathan Buck] "To do that should I right click, then change the speed to 80% or should I do it via time remapping?
And is changing the speed definitely better than interpreting the footage to 23.97 fps?"

Yes, right-click in the timeline and change the speed. The trouble with interpreting the footage in the browser is that this information doesn't correctly translate if you are using a proxy workflow or if you send the timeline out to another app via XML or AAF. For example, sending to Resolve for grading. Straight slomo function seem to weather these translations correctly.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Buck
on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:59:35 pm

Brill, thank you so much for the info it is really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 14, 2018 at 3:34:24 pm

you could also do time interpolation with optical flow to change the fps but not duration.
https://theblog.adobe.com/optical-flow-time-remapping-tips-tricks-for-best-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]