FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offline 2013 MBPro for stability

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Perry
Offline 2013 MBPro for stability
on Oct 9, 2018 at 9:02:06 pm

Hello everyone,

I am increasingly disillusioned with laggy and useless updates and wish to return to a happier time when my Macbook was snappy and responsive. I would like to downgrade my Macbook to the best operating system and CSwhatever combination for his hardware and take him offline for a productive convalescence. I have a CC subscription and have been conscientious about OSX updates and every single "upgrade" has resulted in demonstrably worse performance. I can't see this trend changing with Mojave. I appreciate the new features of Premiere CC but not at the expense of a responsive interface.

If anyone had a similar experience I would love to know what spec/combination you recommend and how to go about it.

Thanks for your attention and advice!

early 2013 15 inch Retina Macbook pro.
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
High Sierra 10.13.6

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Offline 2013 MBPro for stability
on Oct 10, 2018 at 1:50:35 am

Give up 4K.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Al Perry
on Oct 10, 2018 at 10:48:51 am

Give up being smug and presumptuous.

I make short experimental films and music videos mostly using a DSLR or my phone and don't go anywhere near 4k, nor do I wish to. If I did I would expect to upgrade my hardware, naturally. The point is the same setup used to handle the same 1080p material beautifully, previewing effects at full res, jumping around the timeline quickly and responsively. It's about the applications themselves becoming bloated. Shortcuts that hang a second or don't register, a stutter before playing, resizing windows moving well behind the cursor. I can no longer show audio waves on the timeline because drawing them is now too strenuous, even though this worked sweet in PremierePro over a decade ago.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 10, 2018 at 4:32:36 am

[Al Perry] " I have a CC subscription and have been conscientious about OSX updates and every single "upgrade" has resulted in demonstrably worse performance. I can't see this trend changing with Mojave. I appreciate the new features of Premiere CC but not at the expense of a responsive interface. "

Premiere and the mac OS keep upgrading software but by the looks of your computer specs you haven't been upgrading your hardware. And as a result, you're experiencing sluggish performance.

A minimum of 32 gigs ram, a GPU with at least 4gigs, an i7 CPU and a fast raid is what will allow you to run Premiere efficiently. If upgrading isn't an option then work in proxy mode until you have an opportunity to upgrade.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 12.1.2 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Al Perry
on Oct 10, 2018 at 10:54:09 am

As I said previously, I have no wish to keep upgrading (at the moment at least). I don't need the additional functionality for what i do (short experimental films and music videos using 1080p DSLR footage). I just need the interface to feel quick and responsive, exactly like it used to.

My question was very specifically and clearly how to go back to a previous OS so I could run something like CS6 in perpetuity, offline. That is to say, have this very same machine running as smoothly as it did 4 years ago.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 10, 2018 at 2:33:59 pm

Going backwards might end up being more work than going forwards but that's up to you.

Go to ebay and try to find CS6 and then try to find an older Mac OS somewhere on-line. Good luck with that.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 12.1.2 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Al Perry
on Oct 10, 2018 at 7:25:47 pm

If you posted in a forum "i need an affordable and spacious family car" and someone replied "you should reduce the size of your family and get a sports car because they are quicker and better" would you find that helpful advice?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 12, 2018 at 3:33:11 pm

I feel your pain. I have a 2012 MBP that I used to use full-time for editing. Now, it can barely open Word or a web browser without beach-balling. Your computer is 5 years old and unfortunately they slow down over time. The mechanical hard drive physically slows down and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you want to update to a solid state drive. Even those slow down due to the write/erase process and blocks of memory wearing out.

Unless you have a time-machine backup, it can be incredibly hard to move back operating systems on a Mac. You can try to reformat your Mac and start fresh without all the junk that accumulates over the years. It will probably speed up a little bit. Your best bet, as someone else suggested, is to use a proxy workflow until you decide to get a new computer.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 10, 2018 at 7:52:30 pm

You're posting a question about how to get your Premiere system to work like it did back in 2013 or whenever you had better response time overall. You're desire to downgrade is a rare request.

Most of us on this forum are here to share info so that we can be better at our professional craft today and on into the future and that almost always involves upgrading. If you don't get a suitable answer here perhaps you'll be better served by one of the many facebook Premiere user groups.

Return to posts index

Melvin Chong
on Oct 14, 2018 at 10:36:17 pm

Adobe apps have simply become too bloated for CPUs to catch up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]