FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere freezing, using tons of memory

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gardner Raymond
Premiere freezing, using tons of memory
on Oct 3, 2018 at 1:38:49 pm

I've been working on a project for a few weeks now, using one long piece of footage that I'm cutting up into different sections. For a while, the project (and especially the related AE project) had been taking longer than normal to save, but nothing else out of the ordinary. Two days ago, it really started to hit the fan.

Scrubbing through this clip in the Source Monitor, and sometimes playback in the timeline, the video will freeze, though the audio keeps playing. From then on, no matter where I click or what I try to watch, the video is frozen, though the audio still keeps playing. It usually ends up with a Media Pending screen instead (even though all media is connected and has been), and then I'm stuck. I can still move around and click and save, but I can't quit - always have to end up force quitting. It seems to handle the first half of the clip fairly well, but the second half is where it starts bogging down.

At this point in the process, Premiere's RAM usage skyrockets past the allotment I have set for Adobe programs, and pretty much my whole system freezes up until I can get it force quit, then things go back to normal. Activity Monitor screen caps attached. I've restarted several times, cleared the cache and deleted render files. I also copied the main video clip to my internal SSD from my external edit drive just to check that, with no benefit being seen.

I do have about 35 AE linked comps in my project, though the timeline I'm working in right now is just video.
The video clip is 26:41 in duration, h.264, and was delivered to me with a 59.94 frame rate (I did not shoot it nor work with the videographer). Premiere 12.1.2, Mac OS 10.12.6, 3.4g i7 processor, 24Gb RAM.

Other projects seem to be working fine, so it's looking more and more like a clip problem, though I'm unsure why I've been able to work on this for over two weeks without having any problems until now. I've imported this clip solo into new projects with the same freeze result towards the end in the Source Monitor.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Gardner Raymond
Re: Premiere freezing, using tons of memory
on Oct 3, 2018 at 2:00:57 pm

After a bit more sleuthing and watching through the entire video with QT player, I think I figured it out. At around 19:23, it started getting little video hits/glitches occasionally, but throughout until the end of the video. That's about the time that PPro starts crapping out, so everything is pointing to a poor export from the videographer.

Sorry for taking up your time with the longer first post, though I'm still open to suggestions/thoughts if you have any.

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 3, 2018 at 5:15:57 pm

PP has to work REALLY hard to deal with H.264 footage, and the more there is the tougher it gets.

It doesn't help AT ALL that you're having it render AE comps, either.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 3, 2018 at 5:37:14 pm

Before starting the edit you should've transcoded the video file to an edit friendly codec- i.e., Pro res or DNxHD.

Also pre-render any AE comps. Dynamic linking is really more of a PR concept than a usable feature.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 12.1.2 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Gardner Raymond
on Oct 3, 2018 at 6:11:37 pm

Thanks, both!

I generally haven't had any issues at all using the linked comps, even in projects with many of them. However, I will keep that in mind going forward.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 4, 2018 at 11:31:59 pm

You should also keep transcoding H.264 footage in mind, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]