FORUMS: list search recent posts

timeline clips and their source media suddenly darken on their own

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Grabham
timeline clips and their source media suddenly darken on their own
on Oct 3, 2018 at 9:02:34 am

This is a very exotic problem and I am completely at a loss to understand but I will try to explain.

I have been working on the same premiere project for some months and am currently running the latest version of premiere cc 2018.

Last night when I opened the project I noticed one of my black and white shots, taken with a DSLR camera (Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0) had become noticeably darker, as if the contrast had been pushed up. But I had not made this change.

Slowly over the next hour or so more and more clips (all of them from a DSLR source) would spontaneously darken. At first it happened when I altered a cross fade or extended a clip, but later pretty much everything was affected across my timeline, like the issue was increasingly spreading by itself.

I tried to export a clip from the timeline to compare with an export I did a month ago and the darkening was evident in the new export. I have no fx on the majority of the affected clips, they appear as they came out of the camera, shot in black and white.

I can't find anyone else who has experienced this issue so far online, and its bewildering but pretty problematic as I need to do an export of the project and much of it is horribly dark.

Luckily my source clips viewed outside Premiere look correct so im fairly sure they are not corrupted, but as soon as I look at them in Premiere they are heavily darkened compared to, well, two days ago.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.
I am running Premiere CC 12.1.2 on an iMac pro running macOS High Sierra vs 10.13.6

thanks. Tim

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: timeline clips and their source media suddenly darken on their own
on Oct 3, 2018 at 12:21:43 pm

I can confirm that something changed in Lumetri between CC2017 and CC2018. Opening archived older projects, I can see that all the color correction is messed up, with a darker, slightly more saturated image. Perhaps this is what you are seeing. Stuff looks fine if it was rendered under the old version of software, but once you change something that causes you to re-render the clip, the image becomes darker.

Return to posts index

Tim Grabham
Re: timeline clips and their source media suddenly darken on their own
on Oct 3, 2018 at 12:25:41 pm

Many thanks for your reply. I am not sure this was the issue as none of the clips had any colour correction applied to them.
But another user has offered a solution which has worked and that was to 'Try Unchecking Hardware accelerated decoding under Preferences > Media > Enable Hardware accelerated decoding.'
This worked a treat and so I don't seem to have the issue any more.
Thanks again for your reply, I very much appreciate the support of these forums.
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]