FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupted SD card footage recovered, but crashes Premiere Pro upon loading.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nolon Sadidas
Corrupted SD card footage recovered, but crashes Premiere Pro upon loading.
on Oct 3, 2018 at 3:55:50 am

Hey Folks,

New member here trying to save my sanity. I'll try to be as detailed as possible and hopefully make this an engaging read.

I shot an event with a friend recently. I used a Canon 60D with a Tamron 24-70...first gen/older model lens. Three SD cards were involved, all with Magic Lantern installed.
Card 1: SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC class 10
Card 2: SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC class 10
Card 3: PNY Pro-Elite 16GB class 10

The ML settings were different on each card as far as bit rate, display etc. I changed them on the fly during the shooting, but footage was successfully recorded to each card during the event - at least as far as I know - the cards did show "card filled" before I replaced them. I handed the cards over to my friend at the end and thought all was well.

A few days later I found out that when he placed the cards into his USB attached card reader, a message popped up saying that the cards needed to be formatted before being accessed. I LOW LEVEL FORMATTED each card in my camera the day before the gig and successfully pulled footage off of one card a few days previous.

The weird part about this is that card 1 and card 3 came back with the 'must format card' message, while card 2 had no problems. One would expect the problem to be found with the same brand card (at least I thought so) but that's not the case.

Fast forward to me retrieving the files using EaseUs, but then needing to repair the files. I used Stellar Phoenix Video Repair. I found a work around for EASE US, but did eventually purchase Stellar Phoenix.

I repaired the corrupted files (with some audio issues remaining) but now the default program for opening the clips must be changed to VLC, as Quick Time will not play them. Once the files are imported and one is placed into Premiere Pro CC timeline, the program crashes shortly thereafter. With Premiere CS6, the clip will load into the timeline, but won't play. Upon closing the program, then re-opening, the file appears in the timeline, will play, but PPCS6 freezes once rendering commences.

I've tried changing the file extension (which I may try again), tried some VLC fixes ('always repair and open corrupted files as AVI'...or some such nonsense) and have tried re-repairing the already repaired files.

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, if there is any remedy for the situation or if there is hope for actually USING THE FOOTAGE. I know the footage is there, I just can't get it to co operate with Premiere.

If nothing else, I'd at least like to know the cause of the problem so as to avoid it in the future: Magic Lantern, Premier Pro, The 60D, The USB Card Reader, The electromagnetic video fairies at the venue, operator error, etc. etc.

Thanks for your patience and all help is appreciated. I'll attempt to stay on top of this post and answer any questions and keep correspondence timely.

Thanks in advance to the community.

Nolon.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Corrupted SD card footage recovered, but crashes Premiere Pro upon loading.
on Oct 3, 2018 at 12:25:24 pm

See if you can successfully convert the footage to a suitable mezzanine codec, like ProRes, Cineform, or Avid DNX, using Media Encoder. Use the new files as your new masters. The originals are probably corrupted and may never be stable in Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]