FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bit Rate is too low when exporting from Premiere to MXF / OP1a

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
renee litapop
Bit Rate is too low when exporting from Premiere to MXF / OP1a
on Oct 1, 2018 at 7:50:33 pm

Hello,

I am trying to follow a spec sheet for a broadcast delivery to export a file from Premiere CC 12.0.1 - the broadcaster wants Op1a, 25 fps interlaced, minimum data rate 50 Mbps.

I have not made this kind of file before, but did some reading/ googling and everything has seemed relatively straightforward. I am using the MXF OP1a XDCAM HD 50 PAL 50i preset and only adjusting the number of audio tracks (broadcaster wants 8 channels), otherwise using it as is.

My understanding is that the data rate with this preset should be 50 Mbps... correct?

But after I export the file and open it in Quicktime inspector to make sure all the specs are correct, it is showing me that the data rate is 9.22 MBps. I have done this export over and over again and the number is always the same. But there seems to be no way to adjust the data rate for the export—everything I have read says that you just pick the format and the right data rate should be automatic.

I don't want my file to be rejected for a data rate that is too low... not sure what is causing this and I don't see anywhere to adjust a setting to fix it. Help?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Bit Rate is too low when exporting from Premiere to MXF / OP1a
on Oct 1, 2018 at 8:09:07 pm

Well, I know that my XDCAM 422 29.97 exports will have a data rate of 50mbps. And that with 25fps, the data rate will be lower, due to less FPS. But I don't think THAT much lower.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

renee litapop
on Oct 1, 2018 at 8:19:18 pm

Isn't the whole point of the XDCAM 50 preset that it is supposed to ensure a data rate of 50? There seems to be no place to adjust this parameter, so I have not idea how to generate the right kind of file other than selecting the preset called 50.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2018 at 12:35:59 am

What do you think about exporting two files? One would be the standard preset, and the other a custom preset with the bit rate set at 50 MB/S.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

renee litapop
on Oct 2, 2018 at 1:01:38 am

How would I set that up? In the MXF OP1a export menu I can either choose to match to my sequence settings (which gives me an error message / doesn't work), or I need to select a format. I selected XDCAM 50 PAL 50i, and with this selected there is no way to manually change the bit rate. Is there some other way to customize my export that I am not seeing that would allow me to change it? Could you give more detail about what you are recommending?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 2, 2018 at 3:26:37 am

Quicktime is probably showing the information wrong and it is also a really bad tool for making any kinds of serious checks. The bit rate is specced in the format and should be fine. Also even though it is 50 Mbps CBR it's still being compressed by what is happening in the footage. If you have simple footage, long takes, full screen graphics, crop bars etc those are easier to compress and will take less space. If I remember correctly only only MPEG IMX will write every frame with all the data in it. Which is kinda wasteful.

Return to posts index

renee litapop
on Oct 2, 2018 at 4:59:37 am

ok, thank you! This is the first response that makes sense to me. Actually, yes, the film has a lot of long takes and quote static shots, so what you are saying seems very plausible.

Can you recommend a different inspector that I can use to get more accurate information about the file other than QT inspector?

The file actually looks fine to me—if I play it side by side with the higher data rate ProRes file it doesn't look really different to my eye, but I'm concerned that the broadcaster will see that the data rate number looks too low and will reject it.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 2, 2018 at 6:06:57 am

[renee litapop] "ut I'm concerned that the broadcaster will see that the data rate number looks too low and will reject it."

XDCAM HD 422 is a locked down specification. There are no settings to set. It will be to format specs. There can be other issues that aren't format related like out of gamut colors, wrong audio levels etc. I've delivered hundreds if not a thousand files in this spec and none of them have had any issues with bit rate. If they have an automated QC-check they will let you know if/what you need to fix.

QC is a very specialized field with really expensive solutions but there are some free ones like MediaArea's QCtools.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Oct 2, 2018 at 2:38:02 pm

You opened one of these MXF files in QuickTime? When I do that QT converts the file - I assume to h264. Did that happen when you opened it? If that's the case, you are not actually looking at the mxf file. Open the file in VLC and check the Media Information. VLC can open the mxf. And there you should be able to find the Media Bitrate.
TC

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Oct 2, 2018 at 3:27:57 pm

Will the broadcaster accept DNx? We regularly export DNxHR/DNxHD MXF OP1a out of Premiere for masters. You'll have no problem getting a minimum data rate 50 Mbps with DNx.

Return to posts index

renee litapop
on Oct 2, 2018 at 3:33:32 pm

I saw that there was a whole other DNx export menu, and I am not sure what the difference is. The specs provided seemed to exactly match the setting I used (MXF XDCAM 50i). Is DNx a different wrapper? Can you explain the difference between those two export menus?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 2, 2018 at 3:50:42 pm

DNxHD/HR are completely different formats from what you've been asked. You should deliver to a format that they have in their delivery specification.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Oct 3, 2018 at 3:49:32 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "DNxHD/HR are completely different formats from what you've been asked."

All we know that Renee has been asked for is "Op1a, 25 fps interlaced, minimum data rate 50 Mbps." DNxHD and DHxHR are perfectly valid formats to put into an MXF OP1a wrapper, so "completely different formats" doesn't make sense. The broadcaster may not accept those codecs in the MXF OP1a, but that hasn't been specified.

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Oct 2, 2018 at 4:21:43 pm

DNx is a family of CODECS that you can put in an MXF OP1a wrapper. This is how it looks in my export menu.

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Oct 2, 2018 at 4:32:21 pm

This link may clarify some confusion:

https://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Pro-tutorials/Create-working-MXF-OP1a-files/...

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Oct 2, 2018 at 6:13:09 pm

I'm telling you. Check in VLC or even get MediaInfo if you are really concerned that the data rate on your MXF is too low. I would trust what they tell you about an MXF file versus what you are seeing in QT. I am betting that using those standard MXF settings in AME, that MediaInfo will show you the video bit rate at 50 Mb/s.
And yes, stick with a standard MXF to send the station. I wouldn't bother with DNx??.
TC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2018 at 6:19:08 pm

Bring it into PRemiere or Resolve...that will show you the data rate, no?

And thanks for the education on the XDCAM 50 spec being set to a data rate of 50. Makes sense. Also why it is 8 audio channels, always 8 audio channels, nothing less, nothing more. I too have this deliverable, but do it from Avid, and when I bring it back into Avid to check the file, that's where I see all the metadata.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Oct 3, 2018 at 3:45:42 pm

[Todd Perchert] "stick with a standard MXF to send the station. I wouldn't bother with DNx??. "

What do you mean by "standard MXF?" Renee has not said that the broadcaster has specified anything other than "Op1a, 25 fps interlaced, minimum data rate 50 Mbps." MXF is just a wrapper, and it is perfectly valid to have DNxHD or DNxHR inside of that wrapper. The broadcaster may not accept that, but we don't have that information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]