FORUMS: list search recent posts

editing ARRI Log footage query

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Wade
editing ARRI Log footage query
on Sep 30, 2018 at 5:01:29 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but have learned a lot from it in the past. Apologies if this has been addressed before.

Basically we've shot on the ARRI Amira in Log. When viewing all the footage outside of Premiere it looks the usual washed out log way. Upon bringing the clips into premiere the majority of them have gained loads of saturation/contrast, etc. A select few however have not and remain in the Log look.

I am concerned before I start editing that I have followed the correct import/workflow procedure. All I've done so far is sync picture to sound and I don't want to start editing until I understand what is the proper way.

I am lucky that my machine can handle the 3.2k ProRes 4444 files for online editing. I have gone strait into Premiere and at the moment do not have a plan in motion for color grading unfortunately. However, if this were to happen I was planning for it to take place after the edit is complete.

Please let me know any general advice you have moving forward. I have attached a picture of an example of the two types of footage I see. I only have a couple that still look log (on the left) and the rest seem to have some LUT applied automatically (on the right). Am I fine to edit everything with the right side look? Should it all be log? Does it matter?

https://i1.creativecow.net/u-upload.php#

Thanks in advance for your support and guidance.

Cheers,

Wadebe

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: editing ARRI Log footage query
on Sep 30, 2018 at 9:07:11 pm

You aren't doing anything wrong. Premiere automatically applies an ARRI Amira LogC-to-Rec709 LUT to the footage as a master clip effect. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, Premiere "forgets" and clips won't show the LUT. It also sometimes happens that you'll go along fine for awhile and then at some point you'll open Premiere and more clips have lost their master clip effect LUTs.

Note that master clip effects can also bloat your project size. Some folks have complained about this before. You can either live with it and apply a few LUTs manually here and there. Or you can disable all master clip effects for your footage and then manually apply the LUT for only the clips on the timeline.

You can find the right LUT under the Basic tab of Lumetri. That's only if you need to have it look "normal" for screenings. Or if you are doing the color correction in Premiere using Lumetri. If you decide to grade separately in another application, like Davinci Resolve, then it doesn't matter whether your footage in Premiere has a LUT or not.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brandon Wade
on Oct 1, 2018 at 12:45:50 pm

Dear Oliver,

Thanks for your very clear and kind response! Its good to have this reassurance moving forward.

All the best!

Wadebe

Return to posts index

Brandon Wade
on Oct 4, 2018 at 8:43:10 am

Hi again Oliver,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I'm still having a slight issue. When I go into luminetri to manually add the LUT it is not looking quite the same. See the pictures below. I feel like I'm missing one final part of the equation. If you know how I can get the image colors to match that would be amazing. (Its the picture on the left that is the manually applied LUT and the one on the right and bottom that was automatic)

Thanks for your time man,

Wadebe

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 4, 2018 at 11:17:33 am

Where are you applying the LUT on the left? You should be manually applying it in the timeline, not as a master clip effect. And it should be the Amira LUT.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brandon Wade
on Oct 4, 2018 at 11:32:02 am

Hey again Oliver, thanks for the speedy reply. Heres a picture to show what I'm seeing. I have applied the affect in luminetri from the timeline and put the AMIRA LUT on. It looks quite similar, but for some reason it is a little less bright and a little less saturated. Any reason why this might be?

Thanks again,

Wadebe

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 4, 2018 at 1:45:22 pm

In order to clean the slate I'd recommend that you select all of your clips in the bin, right click and select "disable master clip effects" and then apply the amira lut manually.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 12.1.2 | Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 x 2 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with Resilio

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 4, 2018 at 6:25:00 pm

[Brandon Wade] "Any reason why this might be?"

No idea. But are you disabling master clip effects in the bin first? Not on the clip in the timeline? You only add the LUT back on the timeline if needed.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Brandon Wade
on Oct 6, 2018 at 1:00:38 pm

Thanks Oliver,

I've managed to work around those clips. My only conclusion to the difference is that on set the gaffer added a light or we had some sun come out/the DP changed the camera settings slightly for aperture. Otherwise its very similar anyway and I didn't really use the shots. Not ideal, but great info on your end.

Thanks for the information every step of the way chief!

Wadebe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]