FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export settings for an hour long video/photo presentation

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cale Henderson
Export settings for an hour long video/photo presentation
on Sep 24, 2018 at 9:14:58 pm

Hey all,

I'm trying to export a video that's going to be an hour long. It's just a webinar audio with a few slides to show while the viewer listens. I'm trying to export the video and keep quality high enough to read some smaller text, but I'm having trouble making it work.

I've tried exporting:

h.264
1920x1080
3 mbps
export size - 3.72gb

h.264
1280x720
.7 mbps
export size - 1.86gb

I remember watching one of David Kong's videos about temporal compression (https://vimeo.com/104554788 at the 19:00 timecode). He speaks at great depth about how compressing video over time can greatly reduce file size. This seems to make sense if I'm only going to be showing 20 images over an hour's time. I just don't know how make use of this compression technique. Can anyone provide a little guidance to help me?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Export settings for an hour long video/photo presentation
on Sep 24, 2018 at 9:20:28 pm

At anything like HD resolution, your file sizes are about as small as they're going to get without reducing the bitrate down to nothing. You've got an hour of video--regardless of how little it changes, there are still 30 frames per second's worth of data being compressed in there.

I'm wondering if doing something truly ridiculous, like reducing the framerate down to something like 1 fps, would work for something like this. I've never tried it, but hey, there's a first time for everything.

Return to posts index

Cale Henderson
on Sep 24, 2018 at 9:22:23 pm

That's a really great idea actually. I'll try it and follow up with some results in an hour or two.

Return to posts index

Cale Henderson
on Sep 24, 2018 at 11:41:54 pm

Results:

h.264
1920x1080
10 fps
3 mbps (trying to bump up quality a bit more to make some of the text legible)
Export size - 2.85 gb

h.264
1920x1080
10fps
1 mbps
Export size - 2.4 gb

This was a great idea and definitely reduced the file size a little. My dilemma is that the intro/outro use some footage that doesn't play at 10fps very well. I was unable to reduce the fps any further in Premiere, unless anyone has a workaround for that.

Looks like they are stuck with a huge file for now. If anyone else has anymore to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Sep 25, 2018 at 12:24:57 am

If you reduce fps, you can reduce bitrate by a LOT. Bitrate and resolution determine your filesize--reducing the framerate just means that you can compress each frame less at super low bitrates. Maybe try going down to 0.1 mbps, see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]