FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcode or Proxies?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlen Cyphers
Transcode or Proxies?
on Sep 23, 2018 at 4:17:08 pm

Hey guys,

I am a hobbyist who enjoys shooting some drone footage and family video (vacations, etc) - so please keep in mind I don't do this for a living.

I've been trying to determine the best workflow for me and whether or not I should transcode my raw footage to Cineform/DNxHD or just use a Proxy workflow. The problem with transcoding all my raw footage is that the file sizes are massive. I transcoded 63GB of 2K/4K footage to Cineform from my Hawaii family vacation and it was 690GB! That is massive.

It seems to me that for a hobbyist, the proxy workflow might be much more reasonable and certainly more archivable as I am paying for my own external storage and I don't have a customer to simply charge for an external drive for all that footage. My thoughts are that archiving the final render and the raw compressed video (h.264/h.265) is so much more practical than storing 690GB of transcoded footage.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Transcode or Proxies?
on Sep 23, 2018 at 5:13:50 pm

Stick to proxies.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

John Heiser
Re: Transcode or Proxies?
on Sep 25, 2018 at 3:24:30 pm

Definitely go with proxies. They'll help your editing go more smoothly, and all your exports will still be from the original files.

John Heiser
Senior Editor
o2 ideas
Birmingham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]