Rotoscoping Deletes Work?!?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Lino
Rotoscoping Deletes Work?!?
on Sep 18, 2018 at 4:41:54 pm
Last Edited By Jim Lino on Sep 18, 2018 at 4:43:47 pm

Hi there,

I'm missing something here when masking out this little scene in my video... need your help!

I have a guy opening the back doors to a truck.... and I want this overlay behind him showing the payload capacity specs for the truck.

But after going through all of the trouble, frame by frame, to meticulously mask the overlay so that it seems behind the guy... when I scroll back to preview my work, the program distorts the mask on each frame, erasing all my work.

So I thought I wasn't making the keyframes, but the keyframes are there for each frame.... it doesn't let me NOT make a keyframe.

So why do the masks keep changing?

Ironically, the first half of the clip was changed/erased... but when I scroll back over the latter half of the clip, Premiere has "accepted" these masks and isn't erasing them. See this photo:

How am I doing it wrong? thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rotoscoping Deletes Work?!?
on Sep 18, 2018 at 5:17:30 pm

Well, you're using the wrong tool for the job.

This particular shot should be rotoscoped & composited in After Effects, which is made for stuff like this. It certainly won't be any easier, but at least you can do it reliably.

My advice is to use Dynamic Link to import just that shot -- with trim handles -- into AE, do the roto work & complete the shot, then export it & import the exported shot into PP. Dynamic Link isn't very good about doing round-trips like PP>AE>PP with much reliability.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Lino
on Sep 19, 2018 at 4:28:22 pm

Ok thanks, Dave! I'll try that.

Kinda reminds me of that old Seinfeld episode about how the car rental company knows how to "take" the reservation, they just don't know how to "hold" the reservation.

Premiere knows how to let me make the mask, just doesn't know how to hold the mask in place once I click over to the next frame.

Return to posts index

Jim Lino
on Sep 19, 2018 at 7:48:06 pm

Dave, you sure there isn't an easier way with Premiere?

I know I said the word "rotoscoping" but it's just masks that I'm messing with here.

How does a mask set in stone on Keyframe 1.... then distort itself.... after work on Keyframe 25 is completed....?

It doesn't matter if that mask is a square or a custom line.... it shouldn't change/erase the work.

If you needed to blur out the McDonald's logo in your video... you'd create a mask, dial up the blur, and move the box along each frame (I know you can auto) in line with McD logo. What is the difference here? I don't think you'd take that example into After Effects to do...?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 19, 2018 at 10:09:30 pm

[Jim Lino] "It doesn't matter if that mask is a square or a custom line.... it shouldn't change/erase the work."

Agreed. Obviously, it IS. Maybe it's your software version. CC2018 does weird things.

But animated masks are clearly in After Effects' wheelhouse. If you're not familiar with the application, you could spend as much time doing it as you could tracking down the problem in PP.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Lino
on Sep 20, 2018 at 1:01:31 pm

Ok thanks for that confirmation. Sometimes I expect these programs to perform flawlessly and just assume it's my error somehow (of course, most of the time it is).

I've got AE and while I'm not as comfortable with it, I've gotta suck it up and get on it it cuz I know it's a valuable tool.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]