on Sep 11, 2018 at 8:03:15 am Last Edited By Stephen Abbott on Sep 11, 2018 at 8:10:26 am
Perhaps you can help with some Premiere export woes. Premiere CC 2018 seems to have gotten slow on renders that used to be very fast. Things like:
- Smart rendering to Quicktime ProRes (from a matching source sequence)
- Rendering sequence audio
These are things that I expect to run at roughly the speed of the disk bottleneck — in my case the media is stored on a ~600MB/s RAID0, and the render destination is a 1500MB/s NVMe SSD.
This is of course much more noticeable on long-form projects. I noticed this on a half-hour doc, right now I have a nearly 2-hour long film that takes:
1. 50 minutes to export a .WAV stereo mixdown (1.3GB = ~0.4MB/s). AIFF is the same.
2. over an hour to to export a match-sequence Quicktime from a preview-rendered sequence (in this case ProRes LT, 1080p), with uncompressed (63GB = ~15MB/s).
It appears that the audio is creating the massive slow-down — when rendering to the same codec as the sequence/rendered previews, the export is more like 5 minutes (~210MB/s — what I consider acceptable given the system).
I've tried rolling back MacOS, resetting preferences, clearing the whole cache, and tinkering with sequence settings.
The hardware: a well-spec'd Mac Pro 5,1 — 32GB RAM, 2* x5680 CPU, NVidia GTX 970 GPU, disks as mentioned above. MacOS 10.13 (also 10.12). The latest Premiere version, but honestly this has been the case for all of the CC2018 versions...
Interestingly, I'm seeing mildly better performance on a 2017 iMac 27". Still not close to even half the disk throughput, more like 30 minutes to export the same .WAV stereo mixdown.
Edit: I should add: this isn't caused by a very complex audio sequence: once I've waited the hour to get an audio mixdown, plonking that mixdown on a sequence and exporting again is just as slow... :(