FORUMS: list search recent posts

buzzing/flickering hair in key?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Doenges
buzzing/flickering hair in key?
on Sep 7, 2018 at 10:05:52 pm

Note: Also posted this in the After Effects forum. Hope this is okay - I don't post a lot and I don't know the rules here. Mods, feel free to throw this one out if needed.

I'm having a lot of difficulty keying hair from a recent shoot. It was shot and lit professionally (Prores 4:2:2) and visually doesn't look like I should have any issues. I've tried Ultra Key in Premiere, Keylight in AE, and even tried a trial of Primatte, and no matter what I do, I end up with noisy buzzing around this guy's hair. I've watched and read everything I can find and I didn't encounter anyone with a similar issue - most tutorials were very simple, saying they pretty much click a few different areas of green, find the best one, and adjust clip black/white a little and it's done. I've spent hours sampling different areas of the green screen and adjusting every setting available, and am making very little progress.

One thing to note - this footage was shot with S-Log2. However, I put the correct LUT on top and made a new composition for the key. Would this effect anything somehow?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture of the problem area for reference - although the issue isn't as noticeable until you play the video. The hair just looks staticky, flickery, and unusable.

Thanks!

Keyed:
Source:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: buzzing/flickering hair in key?
on Sep 8, 2018 at 5:02:54 pm

I bet you're expecting to get a good key simply. Well, welcome to reality.

That guy's wispy hair is going to give you fits.

This isn't a job for PP, it's a job for AE. It will take animated masks to create at least two layers -- one for just the hair and one for the rest of the guy. Key them separately. You may even have to precompose your keyed layers and use the precomp as a track matte for the un-keyed footage.

Then you can use spill suppression on that God-awful green spill.

If the lighting guy had any real experience in effects work he would have known to use a backlight with a bit of magenta gel -- the precise opposite color of green -- to help separate the subject from the background. It would have neutralized a lot of the green in the hair.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: buzzing/flickering hair in key?
on Sep 9, 2018 at 3:58:44 pm

This is the best key tutorial I've ever seen on creating the best possible keys:

https://library.creativecow.net/video_page.php?author_folder=rabinowitz_aha...

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]