FORUMS: list search recent posts

New hardware advice for editing with Adobe PP

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Scholes
New hardware advice for editing with Adobe PP
on Sep 5, 2018 at 2:44:52 pm

Hi,

I've been happily running and working professionally with my 2012 MBP for many years, but it's on it's last legs.

I'm mainly a documentary editor, and usually always transcode to ProRes for cutting. It's mainly 'simple' cutting, meaning not really any graphics/AE involved. More and more jobs I'm getting though have been shot on 4k, and have really been almost impossible for Media encoder to even transcode these days, and when I'm asked to color correct an edit, it's literally impossible.

So I'm trying to figure out the best solution. And am looking at the following options and wanted to know whether the 2018 15" MacBook Pro with Intel Core i7 2.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD by good enough for what I do. Or is it worth the extra $400 to get the Intel Core i7 2.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 555X 4GB?

I also wondered whether getting a used 2016 model on ebay would be sufficiently powerful for me? or, even though I've always cut on a laptop with an external monitor, I am not averse to an imac, so that could be an option.

Essentially what I'm asking is, do I need to bite the bullet and spend $2800? or is a cheaper model going to be okay for what I do?

I've kind of been going round in circles in my head about all of this, so any reccommendations would be much appreciated :)

If you aren't willing to change you shouldn't be editing" - Richard Marks

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: New hardware advice for editing with Adobe PP
on Sep 5, 2018 at 9:14:58 pm

you should view the puget articles on premiere and speed. it has computer parts it checks speed on and directly compares them.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: New hardware advice for editing with Adobe PP
on Sep 6, 2018 at 7:52:50 pm

I second using Puget Systems to figure out good options. If you're doing the finishing work for your projects you'll need a powerful computer that can handle the extra processing needs of 4k media.

One way of assessing your needs is to quantify what your time is worth. Putting more money up front into a new system that can handle 4k will lead to time-saving throughout a project.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]