FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K on 1080 timeline horrible quality export

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandra Piliuiko
4K on 1080 timeline horrible quality export
on Sep 5, 2018 at 3:13:54 am

Hey guys!
I used 4K drone footage to edit on 1080 timeline in Premiere. The original 4K drone is very nice and smooth but it exported in really horrible quality, some of the clips r jumping every few seconds, some of the clips lost resolution. I tried creating a new project with a 4K timeline and imported one of the drone footage to see how it will export. That one exports very nicely, no jumping, no quality loss. I am wondering if I should redo the whole video in 4K or is there any way to salvage the original project? I am super beginner level, sorry If it’s a stupid question. The reason why I did 1080 was because I had some clips that were 1080 so I figured they would lose quality if I blow them up in 4K. I used YouTube 1080 export settings. I would appreciate any input or advice.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: 4K on 1080 timeline horrible quality export
on Sep 5, 2018 at 3:23:37 am

When you edited on the 1080 timeline in Premiere, how did you scale down the 4K footage?

Return to posts index

Alexandra Piliuiko
on Sep 5, 2018 at 3:32:10 am

I scaled 4k in effect controls panel individually for each clip

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Sep 5, 2018 at 2:14:42 pm

As far as jumpy video... what are the frame rates of everything? Original Drone footage, PPro Sequence, and your Export settings? Sounds like a frame rate mismatch somewhere with that.

Losing resolution... this could also come down to Sequence settings and Export Settings again. Hard to say what the problem might be without details.
TC

Return to posts index

Alexandra Piliuiko
on Sep 5, 2018 at 6:33:15 pm

Thank u so much for ur response!
Original drone 29
Sequence 25
Export 25

Am I supposed to match all 3? What if I have different frame rates in original clips?

I just did modify - interpret footage and changed all to 25 it took away the shakiness in all but one drone clip. didn’t help much with the resolution issues tho

Can I change sequence frame rate at this point when I already have edited everything? Also, what would be an ideal workflow to avoid these mistakes and mismatching in the future? It is all still confusing to me

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Sep 7, 2018 at 2:31:36 pm

It is best to have your frame rates match, unless you have a reason not to, such as shooting at a higher frame rate for smooth slow-mo. Sometimes you can't avoid different frame rates, and PPro can handle it fine, but you can end up with judder or other motion issues.
There are a lot of posts on this forum about frame rates if you do a quick search.
Good Luck!
TC

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Sep 5, 2018 at 6:00:13 pm

I edit 4K in Premiere using proxy files. These are much lower resolution files that are attached to your original file. There are short tutorials on how to easily create these. Essentially when you ingest your footage Media Encoder automatically opens and creates the files and then you edit with the proxies so there's no freezing up while trying to scrub through footage. I create 720p, mov versions. When it is time to export, Premiere knows to export the files as 4K automatically. It really is easier than it may sound.

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Alexandra Piliuiko
on Sep 5, 2018 at 6:41:14 pm

Thank u so much! I am going to look for YouTube tutorials on how to do this. It seemed a little too complex for my beginner level. So if I use proxies, will i have to worry about export settings? Or will it do 4k automatically? Or is this just to simplify the workflow so PP doesn’t freeze? I usually do 1/2 or 1/4 resolution when I edit to avoid freezing

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Sep 5, 2018 at 7:46:22 pm

This will smooth our your workflow. If you can view 1080 files at full res then you'll be able to view proxies at full res. Once you add color correction or effects then you'l probably have to go to 1/2, 1/4. Under the Program window you'll see a "+". Click that and drag the "toggle proxies" icon onto the icon bar under that window. Hover over the icons and the name will pop up so you know which to grab. This will allow you to toggle between the proxy and 4K while editing. You'll want to actually leave the proxy on and only toggle top 4K for color correction or to see the quality if you decide to scale up a clip size. While you are new to this, this is worth learning if you plan to do 4K.

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Alexandra P.
on Sep 6, 2018 at 12:29:12 am

Thank u so much! I will definitely look into this as I mostly want to do 4k drone videos.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Sep 7, 2018 at 3:39:13 pm

Best is to convert so-called NTSC framerate to so-called PAL framerate before bringing it into a PAL sequence, as this can be a real pita.
Or set drone to 25 fps.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]