FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrated FCP7 to Pr Successfully But Question re: master clips

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shawn convey
Migrated FCP7 to Pr Successfully But Question re: master clips
on Aug 31, 2018 at 10:19:26 pm

Hey there!

So I have a very important legacy project (Feature Length Doc film) which was cut in FCP7 and I have been wanting to properly archive all the used clips, sound and other media from this project in one place so down the line I have all the "needed" assets and a Premiere timeline all in one place.

After some hic-ups I was able to export an .xml from FCP7 which seems to have translated to Adobe Premiere well ( I am going to go through the painstaking task of double checking that this coming week), but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to compile/copy (for lack of a better word) ONLY the clips, assets, and media used in the final sequence onto a single drive.

Right now as there were many iterations of sound design and shot stabilizations and titles etc... the original folder structures and organization left a lot to be desired.
I would like to rectify that in this "proper archive"

So in short:

THE QUESTION - How to copy all used files in a sequence to another drive with Adobe Premiere from a project that was imported with a FCP7 XML file? Are there any pitfalls I should be weary of? Also I am assuming if I "re-organize" the files within Premiere (not in finder) then everything should also hook up as well... correct?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ann Foo
Re: Migrated FCP7 to Pr Successfully But Question re: master clips
on Sep 4, 2018 at 10:57:59 pm

I think what youre trying to do is (in avid speak) consolidate. In Premiere speak, it's called Project manager.

So in your Premiere project with the sequence that was created from the FCP7 XML, click 'File' and select 'Project Manager'. Select the sequence you want to consolidate.
Under 'Resulting Project' you have 2 options:
- 'Collect files and copy to new location' - this will copy the full original camera rush to a new location
- 'Consolidate and Transcode' - use this option if you want to take ONLY the media used in the cut, with handles (there's an option somewhere that will allow you to specify how much handles you want) and/or if you want to transcode the footage. This option is best to conserve space.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Migrated FCP7 to Pr Successfully But Question re: master clips
on Sep 4, 2018 at 11:14:05 pm

BEFORE you go to Premiere Pro, use the Media Manager in FCP 7 to copy all of the clips used in the sequence to another location. THEN do the XML to Premiere Pro. Note...any stabilization or other FX you did in FCP 7 will not transfer to Premiere. Plugins are specific to the edit app you are using, so you will have to redo that stuff.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]