New Macbook Pro with 32GB Ram can't edit 4k multicam

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
allan rickman
New Macbook Pro with 32GB Ram can't edit 4k multicam
on Aug 26, 2018 at 7:33:38 pm

Hey everyone,

I use Premiere pro for 4k editing.

So I just purchased the new Macbook Pro, 15 inch, with 4gb graphics card, 32 gb ram and a 1tb SSD (top range i7) as my 2017 Razer Blade laptop was really struggling with 4k footage. I decided to upgrade so i wouldn't have to wait for proxies to be created for my 4k footage as this takes hours after some shoots.

To my surprise when editing 4k footage, even from a iPhone in 4k, when i try to do a multicam edit with 2-3 clips, it really struggles and is unworkable. So I am again creating proxies, sitting here wondering why I should keep it after dropping so much money on a new machine, if I still have to use proxies.

Am I missing something here? Are processors still not powerful enough on laptops to edit multiple 4k files in one go?

Should I switch to using a more powerful processor on a custom built PC rig instead? and then in a year wait and see how new processors handle the footage?

Any input would be welcome.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: New Macbook Pro with 32GB Ram can't edit 4k multicam
on Aug 26, 2018 at 9:18:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 26, 2018 at 9:20:50 pm

And what kind of fast storage are we using? Assuming we transcoded our footage to an easily-decompressed codec, of course...

A Thunderbolt RAID?

No?

A zippy-fast fast internal digital storage device?

No?

Well, there's your answer.......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

allan rickman
on Aug 26, 2018 at 9:38:07 pm

Actually, I have tried using an external Samsung T5 Drive and also placing the footage on the MacBook Pros internal drive. Made little to no difference.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 26, 2018 at 9:40:55 pm

Forget Dave’s part about transcoding for a minute, most of us already know that if you’re not keen on proxies, you’d not gonna be real keen on transcoding. 🙄 But, his question about “ fast storage” is possibly a very valid concern.
So, are you trying to edit off the boot drive of the new laptop? If so, that is a problem, even though it’s an SSD drive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Aug 27, 2018 at 3:37:27 pm

Is your 4k media H264? If so, that's what's tripping up your MBP.

You should never edit with H264 media because it's too CPU intensive.

Transcode any H264 to ProRes or DNxHD and you'll see a dramatic improvement in your workflow. And the Samsung T5 should be fine for working with 4k media as long as you're connecting it via a TB3 input.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 27, 2018 at 5:02:46 pm

RAM isn't the issue. You are trying to play back multiple streams of 4K footage...that requires a FAST RAID of drives. There is no way a single drive can deal with this....not even an SSD. YOu need a 2-4 drive RAID-0 or RAID 5 (RAID 5 is better, protected raid, drive fails, you don't lose anything).

And yes, if the 4K footage is h.264...that is ANOTHER hurdle...because decoding that, multiple streams of that...on the fly takes a LOT of processessing power, and high end GPU to help. Laptop won't cut it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]