FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxies are slower than 6K original footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wahlman
Proxies are slower than 6K original footage
on Aug 22, 2018 at 9:16:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm just getting into shoot more with RED cameras and so I've been researching and experimenting with proxies a lot, but I have one issue that is driving me nuts. In the example I'm using, I have 6K .R3D original footage and I've created proxies from a bunch of different codecs and presets, including custom, and they are always just as slow as the original footage even at 1/4 viewing resolution. Here's the kicker for me; my first thought was that I was creating proxy files that are too big so I created some ProRes 422 Proxy and some H.264 and file sizes are obviously different. But, if I import the proxy file directly into the project, I can play them at full viewing resolution seamlessly. So, it seams like it's not the proxies I'm creating, but something about the linking media or file structure.
Can anyone give some insight into this, why the linked proxy is so much slower than the direct proxy file? Thanks. Computer specs below.

2009 Mac Pro
OS 10.12.6 Sierra
12 Core 2.06 GHz Intel
24GB RAM 1333MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 _ 2047 MB
Footage disks are RAID 1 SATA drives, separate from OS drives
Premiere Pro 2017

-David

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Proxies are slower than 6K original footage
on Aug 23, 2018 at 3:56:50 am

Are you making proxies manually or with the built in proxy feature? If you're using the built in feature there's a separate button for turning the proxy footage on and off. Make sure your proxies are turned on if you want to use them.

Return to posts index

David Wahlman
on Aug 23, 2018 at 3:47:20 pm

Hey Tero,
Yes, I'm making the proxies through Premiere. Right click on original >Proxies>Create Proxy. And then yes, I am also toggling between the proxy and original viewing option. Good thought though, thanks for asking.

Return to posts index

Mark DAgostino
on Sep 5, 2018 at 6:05:38 pm

This may not work but try right clicking the clip in Premiere, select "proxy" and "attach proxy". Maybe you are actually just seeing the 6K clip and for some reason the proxy is not attached.

Mark D'Agostino
Video Producer
Creative Media Productions - Exelon
Baltimore, MD
MacPro,2.7 Ghz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D700 6144MB, AJA Io XT, Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

David Wahlman
on Sep 5, 2018 at 6:09:07 pm

Hey Mark, thanks for the comment. No, they are for sure attached. It says so in the metadata column for proxies and I've even tried 're-attaching' them. :(

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 5, 2018 at 7:03:19 pm

Have you added the proxy toggle button in your source and timeline window so that you're sure about which you've selected for playback? It sure sounds like you're not selecting the proxies when playing back.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

David Wahlman
on Sep 5, 2018 at 10:48:05 pm

Hey Greg, thanks for commenting but it's for sure not that either as I've been doing that since the beginning, which I think is also supported by the fact then when proxies are toggled on, it has more difficulty in playback. The very fact that there is a difference in playback means that it is indeed toggling between things. It's just a matter of why the proxy is slower.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 6, 2018 at 7:14:57 pm

ok, I guess my next step would be to start a new project and only import the proxies into it.

Windows 10 Pro | i7-5820k CPU | 64 gigs RAM | NvidiaGeForceGTX970 | Blackmagic Decklink 4k Mini Monitor |
Adobe CC 2018 |Renders/cache: Samsung SSD 950 Pro x2 in Raid 0 | Media: Samsung SSD 960 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 | Media: OWC Thunderbay 4 x 2 Raid 0 mirrored with FreeFileSync

Return to posts index

David Wahlman
on Sep 7, 2018 at 12:02:26 am

Yeah, I guess that is an option, I'd just rather not the extra hassle. Because, if I import the proxy directly, it runs super smoothly, it's only when playing back through the proxy interface that things bog down.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Sep 7, 2018 at 12:07:56 am

There’s no need to have the proxies connected. Do the edit with the proxies and when you’re ready to finish swap out for the high res. It doesn’t answer the question why you’re having issues but it allows you to work.

Return to posts index

David Wahlman
on Sep 7, 2018 at 12:35:06 am

Yeah, it's for sure a solution. I'll do that for now. Thanks Greg!

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Sep 7, 2018 at 11:53:54 am

Hi, a quick thing you should try to make sure the proxies are properly connected is. >
rightclick on a clip in your timeline and click > reveal in explorer (since you are on a mac it's probably something like "reveal in finder".
If the proxy file is correctly linked it will reveal the proxy (as long as proxies are active in "toggle proxies" )
Once you switch back to non proxies it will bring you to your source file when you rightclick > reveal..... This way you can be sure your proxies are properly attached.

Another Idea. In my experience the re-attaching is in certain cases not 100% reliable.
To make sure everything is ok try making a completely new project, with just 2 or 3 clips and do ALL the proxy encoding from within premiere via media encoder. Try to NOT use mp4 and try different storage targets > next to originals might be a good way to rule out hd performance issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]